• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two pairs to make a quad - minimum starting space?

I have loads of "puppy pen" type panels which are about 2.5 ft long each. I was going to make a bonding pen 5ft x 5ft, but is this too big to start off bonding four bunnies?? Any advice on intial size please???

I dont know about size for a quad but i would say go as small as you can get it to begin with - i made the mistake of bonding mine with too much space at first and there was too much room for them to fight - i couldnt get hold of them to seperate them!!

Cable ties are great for making your own size needed out of the puppy pen panels. :thumb:

Thanks. I thought that too, so I have cable tied six panels together, so that they form a circle pen of about 4ft diameter, with cardboard around the bottom 12 inches to contain the aubiose. i have an old shower curtain at the bottom, a layer of newspaper, a couple inch layer of aubiose and a layer of carefesh. I've just put a big pile of different hays in the middle, and debating whether to put some pear branches and hawthorn in the middle as a distraction.

Just have to blow up my inflatable bed next to it (it's in the living room, which is also neutral territory. Camping light, vanilla extract and broom also close by! So I think I am sorted. Just need to take them all for a drive first. Fingers crossed.......

Just one more question for any seasoned bonders out there.... The panels are only about 2ft high? So are they likely to try to jump out?? (Poppy is a very good jumper, and can easily get over 3-4 high fences)

Thanks

Mine didn't jump - even tho I know they could clear it.

I didn't take mine for a car ride. I didn't like the thought of them being terrified :oops:

I also kept distraction to a minimum and just bunged in a load of their normal hay and no toys, litter tray or anything. Things like that I introduced gradually.

I'm sure each bonding is different thi and the further into it you go, you'll be able to read their needs better.

I did learn that you need nerves of steel. So good luck - and fingers crossed from me! :)

Thanks. Most of my previous bonds have gone well, but bugsy is very protective of his wife so I'm anticipating problems from him. He is a very laid back and docile rabbit, so I think he will be ok once he settles down. My bunnies usually handle trips in the car quite well when I take them to vets for vaccinations, so a short trip maybe just enough. I won't leave them lose altogether on the back seat as I don't have another adult to supervise, so will keep them in their carriers and just take a short drive.

Just a quick update! 17 hours in and the one I thought would cause the most trouble is actually doing very well. Bugsy will now lay down near Poppy and Pebbles and flop out. He even had Pebbles bum on his head when Pebbles ran away from Chloe and landed on Bugsy - Bugsy just laid there!!!

My main problem is Chloe, the small netherland dwarf. She keeps approaching Poppy and Pebbles as if friendly, but then goes to nip their face, so now they run and thump as soon as she approaches.

I've reduced down the space by one panel, as I felt they had a bit too much room, and were constantly running from Chloe during the night.

Anything else I can do to help them, or is it a case of letting them get on with it?

Back