• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are my bunnies warm enough?

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Maisie and Bilbo live in our garage now which is starting to feel quite cold. As they started off being house buns and are not so used to lower temperatures I'm worried that they won't be warm enough. They have old carpeting in their pen to cover the cold concrete flower. A hutch full of hay and a hidey hold box as well as two carriers full of hay to also hide in. Also There are two oil filled radiators on either side of the pen which has been switched on for a few hours each day and I have snugglesafes for them but they don't seem to use them. Do you think all this enough?

If they aren't using the snuggle safes then I'd say they're fine :) I'm not sure if the radiators are a good idea but I'll let some one else judge. When did you move them into the garage? Recently or a month or two ago?

Hmm its hard to tell really, when did they move into the garage?

Maybe you could buy a thermometer to put in there so that you have a better idea of the temperature in there.

Sorry Im not much help, didnt want to read and run :wave:

Thanks for the replies both of you :) We moved them into the garage at the beginning of august when the weather was still pretty warm. We moved house then and decided they would have more space in the garage but before that they lived in our old house and were used to the heating being on plus the walls were really thick there so it was always warm. I just hope they will adapt ok. They never feel cold when I touch them and they get out to play almost every day depending on the weather.

It sounds as if they should be fine, although I'm sure you'll be keeping a close eye as the temperature drops further.

If the radiators are on and they have heated snugglesafes too I personally feel you're a bit OTT at the moment - it's only October and not even freezing! They wear purpose grown thick fur coats which are getting thicker by the day whether you notice that or not. By giving them heat at the moment (unless they're old and decrepit) it's too much - let them feel the cold a bit else their winter coats won't grow fast enough. Bunnies cope better with cold than with heat so by giving them all this heat right now when it's actually not that cold you aren't doing them any favours at all. Providing they're not in a draught then they'll be fine. They're not using the snugglesafes coz they don't want to. Mine live in a hutch in the shed which is at the bottom of a wind tunnel :roll: and all they have is a decent bed of straw. I won't be using the snugglesafes until it's at least minus 1 or 2 and then it has to be long term. You can tell if a rabbit's warm by feeling the fuzzy bit at the base of their ears/neck; if that's cosy warm then they are. Mine have a run which at present (to save the grass from being killed off by them) is on concrete. I was out with them the other day, all wrapped up in my coat as the wind was bitter. The rabbits had no covering on the floor save for their litter tray and a box with some newspaper in, which incidentally they peed and pooped in, but still dozed off sat on the stone cold concrete and the fuzzy spot was still cosy warm. Therefore you're panicking a bit I think. Sorry to be blunt, no offence meant :) but you have to remember that we haven't got snow and ice yet. If you use your rads and heat pads now, whatcha gonna use when it's really, really cold?

they will grow the right coats for the place they live :D i think bunnies cope better in the cold than the heat anyhows :wave:

Back