• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What causes a bunny to have a wet/runny nose? Still no improvement

Doesn’t sound good 

Buster brushed his nose against my arm yesterday and I felt that it was wet and this morning I looked and its still wet but more visable as if its been running. Its not coloured, its not green/yellow or snot looking and its not completely pouring but its enough that ive noticed it. Could it be small bit hay that’s got caught up there? I don’t want to rush him to the vet but at the same time I don’t want it to get worse. He’s fine in himself, he’s indoors so id notice if he was unwell but he doesn’t seem to be?

I would get him checked by the vets - especially at this time of year as it can be the early signs of several things that will be made worse by the cold.

Ok thanks guys, he's an indoors bun anyway so wont get cold but i couldnt think of anything else that it coul be. Thanks for the advice

One of my indoor bunnies has had snuffles before, they can still feel a sudden change in temperature and with the windows open things can get in and affect them.

Dill has had a wet nose the 2 & a half years ive had him & everytime he's been for his jabs I've asked vet if hes ok & she says shes not worried.Casper has one at the mo,but I am a little concerned about him as B has been ill.My facebook status yesterday was" can healthy rabbits have wet noses?" & quite a few people said yes as long as it is clear & not white,green or yellow & my vet today said watch him to makesure it doesn't change colour or become thicker.

I wonder if your central heating could affect him as it will dry the air out. I tend to get the sniffles due to the dry air in the house, it's not a cold, just the sniffs. Just a thought.

I wonder if your central heating could affect him as it will dry the air out. I tend to get the sniffles due to the dry air in the house, it's not a cold, just the sniffs. Just a thought.

I wondered this too, their creates are next to the radiator in the kitchen and i put put the heating on recently which neitherof them are used to.

Ive discovered a huge lump under his chin now though whilst trying to look up his nise so he's got to go to the vets now anyway. im so worried. Its a large rock solid lump right underneath his jaw bone. It doesnt move and its not soft in anyway :cry: i'm really paniking. Ive not even got the money to take him at the moment but i'll have to borrow it until i get paid. I dont know what i'll do if the insurance wont cover it :(

I wondered this too, their creates are next to the radiator in the kitchen and i put put the heating on recently which neitherof them are used to.

Ive discovered a huge lump under his chin now though whilst trying to look up his nise so he's got to go to the vets now anyway. im so worried. Its a large rock solid lump right underneath his jaw bone. It doesnt move and its not soft in anyway :cry: i'm really paniking. Ive not even got the money to take him at the moment but i'll have to borrow it until i get paid. I dont know what i'll do if the insurance wont cover it :(

Oh no! I hope he's okay :)

Thanks. i dont know where its come from :( i always stroke under his chin and have never felt it before. It doesnt hurt him when i touch it (or at least he doesnt show that it hurts) i hope its not serious

Sounds like a tooth root abscess. So his runny nose may well be related to Dental problems as I mentioned in my previous post

Good luck at the Vets

Sounds like a tooth root abscess. So his runny nose may well be related to Dental problems as I mentioned in my previous post

Good luck at the Vets

Thanks Jane

I think you could be right. He had a dental check a while ago for the insurance and the vet said he had spurs on his back teeth that could possible cause him problems in the future. She said she'll check him again in 6 months about 3 months ago so maybe is progressed quicker than she thought :cry: I hope not. He's still his normal bouncy self, eating and drinking fine and no problems with his poops so fingers crossed he'll be ok. Ive not notice the lump before, im so gutted as i dont know how long he's had it :(

Thanks Jane

I think you could be right. He had a dental check a while ago for the insurance and the vet said he had spurs on his back teeth that could possible cause him problems in the future. She said she'll check him again in 6 months about 3 months ago so maybe is progressed quicker than she thought :cry: I hope not. He's still his normal bouncy self, eating and drinking fine and no problems with his poops so fingers crossed he'll be ok. Ive not notice the lump before, im so gutted as i dont know how long he's had it :(

If the Vet suspects a tooth root abscess I would suggest discussing skull Xrays and a swab from *the abscess wall* not just pus, which may be sterile. The Xray to assess the general state of the tooth roots, which may be elongated, and to see if there is any evidence of infection in the jawbone (osteomyelitis).This would give a better picture of the prognosis.

The swab would be to identify the exact bacteria involved and thus the most appropriate antibiotic for the Vet to prescribe. Often just Baytril alone is not enough and tooth root abscesses need aggressive treatment from the outset to offer the best chance of a good outcome.

If the Vet suspects a tooth root abscess I would suggest discussing skull Xrays and a swab from *the abscess wall* not just pus, which may be sterile. The Xray to assess the general state of the tooth roots, which may be elongated, and to see if there is any evidence of infection in the jawbone (osteomyelitis).This would give a better picture of the prognosis.

The swab would be to identify the exact bacteria involved and thus the most appropriate antibiotic for the Vet to prescribe. Often just Baytril alone is not enough and tooth root abscesses need aggressive treatment from the outset to offer the best chance of a good outcome.

Ok, i'll definatly ask for an x-ray, he still seems ok but has been quiter than usual today. He's booked in for monday so fingers crossed. If he gets any worse it'll have to be an emergency tomorrow but ive never called the emergency number so im hoping they will be local as i dont drive and the trains arent regular on a sunday :?

Im so unprepared, i really want to see Busters normal vet because she's done his neuter and vacs and teeth check, id just prefer it to be her than a vet i dont know so i hope he'll be ok til monday :(

Thanks again for your advice Jane

Hey Jane :)

Yeh he still seems fine, wolfed back his breakfast and looked for more as usual. Now he's playing in the bun tunnel in the kitchen. If i didnt know the lump was there you'd think he was perfectly fine. I felt it this morning and i cant decide if its got smaller or not. Its compleletly solid though, i dont think it would be filled with puss but im no expert. it feels like a ball of bone or something, i just cant wait to get it looked and and find out what it is

Hey Jane :)

Yeh he still seems fine, wolfed back his breakfast and looked for more as usual. Now he's playing in the bun tunnel in the kitchen. If i didnt know the lump was there you'd think he was perfectly fine. I felt it this morning and i cant decide if its got smaller or not. Its compleletly solid though, i dont think it would be filled with puss but im no expert. it feels like a ball of bone or something, i just cant wait to get it looked and and find out what it is

It may be that there is no active infection and what you are feeling is an elongated tooth root.

Back