• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is going to sound silly re. myxi vacc's

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
So sorry if I sound like an idiot :oops:

Apparently, it seems that my last bunny savvy vets haven't been as savvy as I thought (or maybe they were, who knows now!)

But, the lovely Jo, at Tower/Abbeyfield's vets in York did Dexter and Pumpkins vacc's today. I will admit, I have only recently read on here that they should be done 6 monthly (as I have been reading the myxi threads) so will be sure to do it this way from now on. Anyway, it's been a year since they last had the vacc and today, Jo gave them half into their scruff and half injected into their ears, which our last vet didn't do. Dexter was the second bun I've had since I was 14 and the first I had vaccinated so I'm not 100% sure on them and the effects etc.

Jo said that both Dexie and Pumpkin will get a little nodule on their ear which will pop up and then scab over. I can't remember this happening last time... does it always happen? Will it be like they have nodular myxi? Will it hurt/annoy them?

I know I've been really rubbish at not doing them 6 monthly but I will be doing for here on out.

Guess it's all about constant learning but still, I feel pretty rubbish that I don't know about this...

Last edited:
When Barney had his first vaccs he got a scab at the base of the ear and his neck, think the neck was a vhd (cylap) reaction though as he had a weird front foot flicking thing for a day as well.

Since then he has had a vhd and a myxi vacc (due another myxi now), and Annabelle has had a myxi too. I havent noticed any reactions from those.

edit: and dont worry too much, I found out about having them done every 6 months when I researched it myself, my vet didnt tell me either.

Last edited:
myxi vacs

the drug company say its common but my vets whos rabbit savvy doesnt!

Last edited:
Jo is wonderful isn't she! :love: I love her! :oops:

I think sometimes the little bump on the ear goes away quite quickly, and it's not really noticeable. With foster bun Jimmy, he had a little hard lump for some time after, but it didn't bother him.

I don't know if the lump is a sort of myxi nodule though. Jo is the only vet I've seen that recommends 6 monthly vaccinations. All the other vets their have said yearly is fine, so mine have only just started having them twice a year. All those years I thought they were covered, and the probably weren't... *Shudders*

Hope Dexter and Pumpkin are doing well xx

Jo is wonderful isn't she! :love: I love her! :oops:

I think sometimes the little bump on the ear goes away quite quickly, and it's not really noticeable. With foster bun Jimmy, he had a little hard lump for some time after, but it didn't bother him.

I don't know if the lump is a sort of myxi nodule though. Jo is the only vet I've seen that recommends 6 monthly vaccinations. All the other vets their have said yearly is fine, so mine have only just started having them twice a year. All those years I thought they were covered, and the probably weren't... *Shudders*

Hope Dexter and Pumpkin are doing well xx

Jo is the first vet whose recommended it to me as well! Well, I mentioned it first as I read it on here not too long ago and we both agreed it was much better to do it 6 monthly.

She is incredible though!

I'll keep an eye on where the injection went in and see... I was just concerned as I didn't know what I was looking out for.

Dexie and Pumpkin are ok. Pumpkin didn't much like the travelling or the vets - she's never been keen with handling and cuddles. Dexie was a star though and Jo said they were both lovely bunnies :love:

They both checked out fine but I did mention to Jo that Dexie had lost weight a month or two back and we'd been feeding him up a bit as I was a bit worried. She said that Pumpkins weight was perfect and that Dexie was 'lean'. She said that his weight is fine and he has good muscle but to keep an eye on him and it wouldn't hurt him to put on a teeny bit more.

Teeth and everything else were fine so I'm a happy bunny mum!!!! :love: Can't thank you enough for recommending them to us :D

charlie had a lump and scab come up but it went and he's fine so i shouldnt worry too much.:wave:

I 'think' Ive read on here that the majority of the vaccine is given subcutaneoulsy but a small amount (0.1ml) should be given intradermally. Some vets will do the last bit in the ear and some pull the needle out a little way in the original spot and do it.

I 'think' Ive read on here that the majority of the vaccine is given subcutaneoulsy but a small amount (0.1ml) should be given intradermally. Some vets will do the last bit in the ear and some pull the needle out a little way in the original spot and do it.

Yes this. Our vet does it in the ear to make sure. It speeds up the immunity by giving part intradermally.

Back