• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just seen an advert for a 'rescue' hiring out a stud buck

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I thought I'd seen everything :shock::shock:

We knew there are 'rescues' and rescues but, well, do these people have any idea what REAL rescues do?

Said rescue also states that sometimes, if they feel like it, they breed rabbits that come to them :roll: ... bit more work for the real rescues to do then. The same 'rescue' also offers for rehome a 9 month old doe that 'has never had babies before', there's a strong suggestion to me there that she's been offered as a breeding doe :cry::cry:

omg ! :shock: What a great job they do :roll: Just saw an ad by someone claiming to be a rescue saying they had to downsize so they're selling single "rescue" rabbits to anyone who is interested, buns aren't health checked, neutered, vaccinated and are just given out like presents no homecheck or anything and i thought that was bad enough :(

The term rescue is definately overused but hopefully they are helping neglected rabbits, even if they aren't really helping the real rescue situation in the long term

theres a young boy near me started taking in rabbits saying his a rescue asking for donations and selling things to raise money, but he also advertises them as early christmas presents and taking babies to pet shop to find homes, now this boy had good intentions but very very misinformed he asked how to cure myxi and how does he pay for vets if ill with out donations :shock: i think this could lead to more problems than good, especially as unsure of sexing and looking out for problems

I've just come across a rescue freecycling rabbits. I messaged them a while ago as they were after "a rabbit" for their son. I suggested they try a rescue as they will be neutered, vaccinated, paired up etc and got a really rude reply back telling me I should mind my own business as they are experts because they run a rescue. Experts? I think not. Any "rescue" would be pleased that there are people dishing out good advice on the internet and suggesting that rescues are used.

As far as the OP goes can you not report them to your local council? They should have a pet shop licence if they are breeding for pet homes. This rule doesn't apply however if you breed for meat or showing but I doubt they would know about that technicality. I'm sure someone on here got into trouble for breeding when they were running a rescue with all neutered rabbits. They had to talk round the council into not giving them a huge bill.

I've just come across a rescue freecycling rabbits. I messaged them a while ago as they were after "a rabbit" for their son. I suggested they try a rescue as they will be neutered, vaccinated, paired up etc and got a really rude reply back telling me I should mind my own business as they are experts because they run a rescue. Experts? I think not. Any "rescue" would be pleased that there are people dishing out good advice on the internet and suggesting that rescues are used.

As far as the OP goes can you not report them to your local council? They should have a pet shop licence if they are breeding for pet homes. This rule doesn't apply however if you breed for meat or showing but I doubt they would know about that technicality. I'm sure someone on here got into trouble for breeding when they were running a rescue with all neutered rabbits. They had to talk round the council into not giving them a huge bill.

That's interesting, I didn't know about the licensing for pets. They are very definitely saying that they are breeding pet rabbits (from strays :roll:) they talk about 'buy' rather than 'adopt' too. I think I will dig a bit further. They also put loads of adverts out promoting themselves as a rescue but saying they have 'no spaces at the moment', due to all the litters they are breeding to sell, no doubt. It really angers and upsets me. The do seem to take in strays and I think their intentions are good but they are just making the overall situation worse and giving people the wrong idea about what rescues really do.

Back