• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stopping or managing bullying?

Vita

Mama Doe
My larger rabbit, Ada, quite often snatches food or treats from Beatrix, the smaller bunny. I try to give them similar things at the same time, and distract Ada if she's finished first, but it doesn't always work. (B does sometimes try and grab food from A too, but not so determinedly or agressively.) I've also seen Ada sitting for a few minutes on a pile of fresh feeding hay, meaning that Beatrix can't get to most of it. Sometimes she sits on Beatrix herself. The worst thing I've seen so far was today, when Ada appeared to try and "dig" Beatrix's head away from their pellet food bowl. Ada has very sharp claws, and I was worried she'd scratched B's face, or worse, her eye. Thankfully she hadn't.

Now, most of the time they are snuggly and playful, grooming and protecting one another, and I don't want you to get the idea that the above is what goes on all day. But I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I know I might have to separate them as they get to puberty, but they're only supposed to be about 10-11 weeks old just now.

I think you're doing the right things - feeding them at the same time, distracting ada when she's done, etc.
If Ada is naturally a bigger rabbit you can always give her more than you're giving Beatrix, so they might finish at a more similar time? Or introduce a treat ball - put a few pellets in it and give it to Ada when she's finished. She'll be entertained with that while Beatrix can finish.

If you find Ada is sitting on top of the hay you could try putting in two litter trays and filling them both with hay. That way Beatrix can eat away from Ada if she wants to.

Some rabbits are just food aggressive. Two of mine always scuffle a little at breakfast and one of them is so desperate for food all the time he'll often just lollop on to of another bunny or push it out the way to get whatever's available.

Thanks BattleKat (fantastic name ... Thundercats?)

That's a great idea to give them two lots of other things, like hay, as well. They've got so many toys recently, but one thing they don't yet have is a treat ball!

I would scatter feed the pellets and veg, my bigger bunny Barney can get pushy too, and it usually has to do with food.

edit; Or if you have a cage, feed one in the cage (shut in) and one outside the cage, although some buns can be a bit anxious when separated. I did this for a while but Annabelle was more interested in trying to get back to Barney than eating, I had to keep reminding her her food was there.

Last edited:
Thanks BattleKat (fantastic name ... Thundercats?)

That's a great idea to give them two lots of other things, like hay, as well. They've got so many toys recently, but one thing they don't yet have is a treat ball!
He-man, but my name is actually Kat :)

Nessar's suggestion of scatter feeding is a good one too. My lot have got a lot better since I've scrapped bowls. :)

Back