• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help me and my amazing bunny sniffles ...

hey there

i am new and i am seeking any advise available to me .

went to the vet yesterday cause i woke up in the morning and saw a huge red lump on my bunnys face, right above her left eye.

the vet said it could be the teeth growing too long and caused and abscess or the left eye is looking a bit off with slight mucus .

she's giving me untill tuesday to make a decision for surgery but it is so costly i don't know if i can afford it , then on top of that she's not re-assuring me that this will help her.

the vet has given me 3 bottles of antibiotics and painkiller for bunny day and night .

she's my first pet and i love her soo much but imagining her going through surgery for how ever long is breaking my heart, but i can't imaging coming home every day and not have her greet me and hopping around ...

please help..

I cannot really give any advice to you only share the experience we had with our charlie that developed an abscess on his jaw which was caused by his teeth growing. Our vet wasn't reasurring that charlie's abscess would go but after 8 days of treatment which involved keeping the wound from the abscess open & cleaning it out for those 8 days did remove the abscess, charlie also had part of his jaw bone took away only very slightly though as the abscess had gone through to it. Even though Anne's treatment worked there was still a risk at some point it could come back usually once they have one abscess they are at risk of developing another one. We spent £180 on charlie's treatment but we are lucky our vets don't charge the price's other vets charge. Whatever you decide don't leave the abscess untreated as it can spread. The vet maynot say to you it will work as there is no guarentee it will work. Charlie was a lucky bunny to have got through the abscess. Really sorry to hear about your bunny xxx

I'm no expert on this and I havent seen your bun obviously, but did you discuss myxomatosis with the vet? Is your bunny vaccinated against it? I know myxo can sometimes start with lumps around the eyes or nose.

Have another chat with the vet (on the phone if you like, its free then) and if the vet reccommends that she needs it, have it done. Even if you have to live off beans for the next month, it will be better than knowing you could have helped her but didnt.

If it is the tooth roots this can be confirmed by xrays, if you can afford it get one done whilst she is under anesthetic for the operation, its cheaper to get one done at the same time rather than do it later and have her anethetised again.. I think mine was only around £25-30 for one xray, when done at the same time as something else. Ask how much it will be.

If you are on benefits or a low income you may be able to get help through the pdsa at a cheaper price.

Back