• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC ! update!

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
Hi

my baby bun has been diagnosed with ec her head is tilted and she is abit of balance,the vet has given me panacur for 9 days and told me to return in 1wk is this enough any advice welcome pls:cry:

Last edited:
Hello

Did the Vet give any medication via injection at the time of the consultation ? Aswell as Panacur a non steroidal anti-inflammatory is also necessary. This is because it is inflammation that causes the clinical symptoms and it is important to reduce the inflammation to minimise longterm cellular damage.

Many Vets also give antibiotic cover as headtilt can also be the result of a middle ear infection. A middle ear infection cannot be seen just by looking into the Rabbit's ear canal. Skull Xrays are usually needed to obtain a diagnosis

The Panacur treatment needs to be for 28 days, so your Vet should prescribe more at your consult in a weeks time

Do you have any other Rabbits ?

no injections were given or any other medication and she checked her ears and said they were fine,i do have 3 other rabbits that are having panacur,do you think i should go back to the vet or go else were?

no injections were given or any other medication and she checked her ears and said they were fine,i do have 3 other rabbits that are having panacur,do you think i should go back to the vet or go else were?

I would first speak with your current Vet and mention the issue re minimising inflammation by giving a NSAID (eg Metacam)

EC is a parasite which, once in the Rabbit's bloodstream, sheds spores. These spores migrate to various places including the central nervous system and the kidneys. The lens of the eyes can also be effected. The spores cause an inflammatory response and the inflammation causes clinical symptoms. So for example should EC spores migrate to the Central Nervous System inflammation there will cause neurological symptoms such as headtilt, loss of balance and hind leg weakness. Once inflammation occurs it causes cellular damage. This damage is often irreversible, hence the need to minimise inflammatory action in the first place.

I am not very good at explaining things so I hope that makes sense. The Metacam would not be to reduce pain but to reduce inflammation. The Vet may say 'your Rabbit is not in pain so Metacam is not necessary'. I would try to have a discussion about the anti-inflammatory action being why it is needed.

If you still feel a lack of confidence with the Vet then you can seek a second opinion. But try talking with the original Vet again first :)

I would first speak with your current Vet and mention the issue re minimising inflammation by giving a NSAID (eg Metacam)

EC is a parasite which, once in the Rabbit's bloodstream, sheds spores. These spores migrate to various places including the central nervous system and the kidneys. The lens of the eyes can also be effected. The spores cause an inflammatory response and the inflammation causes clinical symptoms. So for example should EC spores migrate to the Central Nervous System inflammation there will cause neurological symptoms such as headtilt, loss of balance and hind leg weakness. Once inflammation occurs it causes cellular damage. This damage is often irreversible, hence the need to minimise inflammatory action in the first place.

I am not very good at explaining things so I hope that makes sense. The Metacam would not be to reduce pain but to reduce inflammation. The Vet may say 'your Rabbit is not in pain so Metacam is not necessary'. I would try to have a discussion about the anti-inflammatory action being why it is needed.

If you still feel a lack of confidence with the Vet then you can seek a second opinion. But try talking with the original Vet again first :)

thanks for advice really appreciate it want the best for my little girl,you put your faith in the vet will ring them first thing in the morning :?

Excellent advice there from Jane regarding metacam, antibiotics and 28 days of panacur. If you search on here there are several threads with people's experiences of headtilt and EC. Gemmapookie's bun Mimi had an ear infection induced headtilt last year, about the same time as our Brownie had suspected EC. Both buns are well again now, although B has a permanent tilt it doesn't stop her getting up to mischief! It can be a long road to recovery.

Have you been given advice about quarantine and steam/bleach cleaning at days 21 and 28 of treatment with panacur?

Antibiotics as a precaution are sensible as it is oly possible to see down the outer partt of the ear canal, and an infection could be in the inner ear. As Jane said, x-rays would rule this out but would likely require a GA which is not necessarily sensible or fair on an already poorly bun when trying a course of eg baytril is less stressful for bun.

Is your bun still eating okay? And how is her balance? If either of these deteriorate it would be worth asking for metacloprimide (gut stimulant and helps with balance too) or Stemetil (human anti-vertigo drug which we and others have found very effective in helping EC buns who are rolling/ have poor balance).

she is eating well and her balance is maor or less normal, been back to the vets and they dont want to give her any more medication so i went to another savvy rabbit vet who has told me she is to young to over load with medication and to see how she is in 7 days and the panacur is the best thing for her:cry:

Having had a bun with head tilt caused by EC (diagnosed via elimination of all other possibilities and a high EC titre), our vet told us metacam alongside the panacur was paramount. Buttercup has made a full recovery. The very rabbit savvy vet is in Gloucester. It may be worth seeing another vet who is more clued up.

Good luck and yes, don't forget the bleaching out - one part bleach and 9 parts water for at least 30 seconds contact before rinsing thoroughly with clean water. Definately on day 28 of treatment and some also say day 21 and all rabbits should be treated with a 28 day course of panacur.

co co has been back to vets and had metacam and batril just wish they had gave her it straight away thanks all for advice ;)

Back