• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Housing on Concrete over winter...?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
My rabbits run is on concrete slabs and bricks, do I need to think about putting something down over it so it isn't so cold and hard?

Perhaps put down a couple of mats that the bunnies could sit on if they wanted. But I expect you'll find that they'll still sit on the concrete :roll::lol::lol:. My bunnies all have hay-filled trays to sit in as well as their regular litter trays. They love to snuggle up in them. I use gravel trays from a garden centre as they're low-sided and quite large.

I put a low sided box with a newspaper in the bottom for mine, along with their litter tray (can't have pee on concrete else they'll trample in it). They poop and pee in the litter tray. They poop and pee in the box :roll:. They doze whilst lying on the concrete :? stoopid wabbits!

Mine don't seem bothered by the cold concrete either and are still laying on their side on it from time to time!!!:roll: ... less now that it's getting colder but I've seen it :roll:

I've added a second litter tray in tthe other corner of their large run, and have put a fleece down in their hutch so the floor isn't so cold. They seem to approve of the fleece so far as usually they'll have ripped it out my now and pee'd all over it!

I've made a large tarpaulin cover that fits over the tops of the runs so I think for now they'll be ok so long as it keeps the majority of the frost, ice and water off of the concrete. Lucky bunnies :) Aren't all of ours so spoilt?

Anyone thought about christmas treats and toys for their bunnies yet? :D I've finished my family christmas shopping already! 10 people and I've spent around £60 between them all :D I can imagine I'll spend that on just the rabbits haha! I do have 4 of them to provide for yano ;)

I completely cover the floor of my hutch runs in hay all year round. They choose a pee corner, and I do a complete floor change twice a week.

Perhaps put down a couple of mats that the bunnies could sit on if they wanted. But I expect you'll find that they'll still sit on the concrete :roll::lol::lol:. My bunnies all have hay-filled trays to sit in as well as their regular litter trays. They love to snuggle up in them. I use gravel trays from a garden centre as they're low-sided and quite large.

Yup!! :roll::lol::lol::lol:

Mine don't seem bothered by the cold concrete either and are still laying on their side on it from time to time!!!:roll: ... less now that it's getting colder but I've seen it :roll:

I've added a second litter tray in tthe other corner of their large run, and have put a fleece down in their hutch so the floor isn't so cold. They seem to approve of the fleece so far as usually they'll have ripped it out my now and pee'd all over it!

I've made a large tarpaulin cover that fits over the tops of the runs so I think for now they'll be ok so long as it keeps the majority of the frost, ice and water off of the concrete. Lucky bunnies :) Aren't all of ours so spoilt?

Anyone thought about christmas treats and toys for their bunnies yet? :D I've finished my family christmas shopping already! 10 people and I've spent around £60 between them all :D I can imagine I'll spend that on just the rabbits haha! I do have 4 of them to provide for yano ;)

This is what I plan on doing so they can still use it :thumb:

Does that not waste a lot of hay?

Not really, and I buy it in bales so it only uses the equivelent of 1/4 bale a week for two runs.
My runs are waterproof too as three sides have plastic sheeting on, and they also have a roof.
The buns are getting on a bit, so I'd rather they were warm and dry.

You could try a wooden board a bit like those posh wooden bath mats. Might stay a bit warmer for sitting on.

Not really, and I buy it in bales so it only uses the equivelent of 1/4 bale a week for two runs.
My runs are waterproof too as three sides have plastic sheeting on, and they also have a roof.
The buns are getting on a bit, so I'd rather they were warm and dry.

Bless them :)

Back