• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Experience at Bunny boarding

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Hi all

Just wanted to make you all aware of this.

As I posted earlier, I went away for just over a week. Spoke to the person who runs the place and she seemed very nice and was happy to look after Simba, charging £3.50. His bill came to £31.50 I paid up front and gave her £40, as a tip and hoped she looked after him well.

Please don't shout at me or call me terrible, but I wasn't best pleased when I got there, Simbo is an indoor bunny and she said on the phone that was no problem and she could accomodate him. I get there and he is put in a (quite dirty) old cow shed in a very clean, but small hutch.

Simba suffered with sneezing and had been to the vets before I went and 5 days of Metacam seemed effective and he displayed no other symptoms.
When I picked him up, he was fine other than a runny nose (with snot). I text the owner and asked her if Simba had been sneezing (I had made her aware of this before she agreed to have him and he was clear of it when I dropped him off). She said "no nothing faye, maybe he has a cold".

She obviously knows nothing about rabbits if she even thinks they get colds.

My vet told me Simba doesn't have Pasturella but I am going for a 2nd opinion on Saturday at a different vets, although we gave him some Metacam and he seems to be clearing up again. He is eating, drinking and pooing normally, binkying etc.

She either lied and said he didn't sneeze or have a runny nose, or neglected him and didn't notice. As he had a runny snotty nose when I picked him up. And being a generally sneezy bun around sawdust, you would sure have noticed.

Another thing, I discovered last night that Simba is actually a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My vet didn't check last time as I didn't ask him to, cause Pets at Home told me he was a boy! And I had no reason to believe otherwise.

I thought it was odd that he is 5-6 months old now and doesn't have balls and has never tried to be sexual with anything, so I checked and low and behold!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you are allowed to name and shame people on here. :?

I am sorry that you had a bad experience. Your vet doesn't sound too brilliant, either. They should not trust Pets at Home to get it right, but check the bunny and suggest neutering, which would have been a few months ago if Simba had really been a boy. Maybe someone on here who lives near you, could suggest a boarding place and a good vet.

I think this is why people reccomend you view the place before taking your rabbit. But it isn't fair to name and shame on here.

Sorry you've had a bad experience and hope Simba gets better soon.

I've never heard anyone say anything good about most of the rabbit boarding establishments around here either. The ones with good facilities seem very expensive, and the ones with crappy facilities are often breeders and don't care a jot about the rabbits in their care, whether their own or boarders :(

Are you from Manchester???

If you are i would reccommend Companian Care In Stockport on Didsbury its inside P@H

or

Ashleigh Vets in Chorlton

I am very, very sorry for naming and shaming. I didn't realise it was something we aren't allowed to do, so apologies for any offence caused, I just feel quite upset I suppose.

Yes, I am from Manchester. Thank you very much, I will have a look at those places!

Not sure if I am allowed to name the vets I went to, I went to an A & E one as I was worried. Any recommendations for a good vet in the area would be so much appreicated.

Sorry for any offence caused xxxxxxxx

I once had a really bad experience at bunny boarding too. It involved too small hutches (and probably very little free range time) a very dirty rabbit bum (in July) and bedding that was sopping wet and horrible when I got back.

I now have brilliant rabbit boarding. It's a sanctuary and the lady takes in boarders and is far more knowledgeable about rabbits than I am. It's quite a distance away, but worth the drive, knowing that they are happy and she'll recognise if they get ill. Have rehomed 2 buns from her now - the gorgeous Oliver with the slightly chewed ear, and a lovely baby named Sorrel, who sadly died.

I'm so sorry you have had such a bad experience, we always invite people who are interested in boarding to come look round first and that really is the best thing to do .
We have large hutches and playpens and we do indoor boarding and again have indoor cages and play pens and the bunnies are free to come and go all day and night.
Always make sure the person running the boarding is knowledgeable about rabbits.

What a shame you have such a bad experience with boarding Simba.

The best advice I can offer is to check out the establishment beforehand and ask as many questions as you like.

If in any doubt, check it out!!!

I can assure you that there are really good boarding places out there with experienced bunny owners running them.

Better luck next time.

Hoping Simba improves.

Thank you very much for all the nice comments...next time will check out the bunny boarding place or go by recommendation only.

Good news is, Simba is happily sprawled out in my living room after binkying all day as my boyfriend has been off work this week so he's had loads of attention and the metacam seems to be working, sneezing is getting less frequent and I plan to treat him like a king all weekend!

Which vet is Aidan at? I will give them a go xxxx

Back