• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boris is worse again :(

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
:( I took him to the vets 2 weeks ago since he was breathing fast and coughing. They found nothing wrong (listened to his heart, lungs etc.) but put him on antibiotics which he had for 7 days. Last Friday he seemed to have made a full recovery and was put back in with his wifey, Bella. He's been doing great since but this morning I noticed his breathing is all messed up again :( It's much faster and a wee bit more laboured than normal. No discharge from nose and eyes, and he's eating well etc. Basically the same thing as 2 weeks ago (but no coughing as far as I know) :( I'm just wondering how this is possible as he was a lot better last week and the antibiotics seemed to really have helped :( Did I put him back with Bella too soon? Maybe it's the stress of having to reclaim his territory (and wife!) that has caused him to go downhill again? I do have a tiny bit of AB left which I plan to give him tonight, but it's such a small amount, I doubt it'll do much tbh. Calling the vets for advice tomorrow morning. I just feel all horrible because I keep thinking that maybe I caused this somehow by letting him move back in with Bella too soon :( Maybe I shouldn't even have seperated them in the first place :(

I don't think putting him back with Bella would have caused it (but I may be wrong!). How are they together? I hope the vet can help. Sending lots of vibes for Boris xx

Sounds like he needs to see the vets again, I agree with Helen, I wouldn't have thought being back with Bella would make him poorly again.

Sending lots of vibes for Boris xx

Hope the vet can help, could be an underlying infection. I doubt if it was being back with Bella. That should have helped him to feel better.

Yeah I thought it'd help him recover completely as he was obviously lonely on his own, but he was humping and chasing her like mad the first 2 days, so I'm wondering if perhaps his lungs weren't strong enough to handle that just yet which has now caused a relapse. Only thing I can think of as he seemed fine a week ago, days ago even :?

I gave him the tiny bit of AB I had left and believe it or not, but it seems to have done something, his breathing seemed less laboured now when I kissed them goodnight :love::oops: So perhaps some more ABs would sort him out? This is so weird :?

Their bond is a very strong one I'd say, Boris is the dominant bun and bosses poor Bella around quite a bit... but they snuggle and groom each other a loooot :love: And when one of them feels a bit off colour the other one picks up on it and gets anxious, like when Boris was at his worst 2 weeks ago, Bella wouldn't leave his side even though he was sitting in the cage, which is probably her least favourite spot for a cuddle :lol: So overall I think it's a strong bond, they're best buddies, even though they do have the occasional argument (usually over food :roll:) and get slightly cross with one another for a few minutes.

I think that being back with her and being ill again is probably a coincedence. It sounds like another vet visit is needed and you should push for a thorough investigation.

Update

Called the local vets for advice this morning and the one I spoke to (which was a different one than the one who examined him 2 weeks ago) thought it did sound like 7 days of AB just wasn't enough for him, and told us to come and pick up some more. He's now going to be put on a 10 day course of Bactrim (same antibiotics he had last time, it's commonly used over here to treat pneumonia etc.) and if he doesn't improve within a week or so, he needs to go there again for a thorough health check. I'm not seperating him from Bella this time, he doesn't seem quite as poorly as last time and besides, I think being away from his wife would stress him out more :( So I guess all I can do for now is give him the AB twice a day and pray that he gets better. We could definitely do with some more vibes :( So worried about my Boris Boo.

Last edited:
Vibes for Boris :wave:

It may be that having a break from the abx might mean he has become a little resistant to the Bactrim - if it doesn't work this time around and he might need a different abx for a longer course. Anyway, i'm sure your vet has it in hand. Good luck x

The tiny amount he had yesterday actually seemed to have done something though, so hopefully he hasn't become resistant, but obviously if this is the case there's stronger stuff he could have instead. Thanks for the vibes, I'm sure we can work this out somehow. Seeing him like this is just stressing me out :( I feel so bad for the little guy! He's turning 5 next year, so I hope his respiratory system hasn't suffered any serious damage this week. I wouldn't want him to have problems in the future because of this :(

Back