• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please bunny not eating, lethargig, stomach hardening

Louise G

Warren Scout
I am so worried about my female lionlop. I have booked her in at the vets as soon as my mum gets back from work as it is 40mins away and i do not drive. In the meantime she hasnt eaten anything last night or this morning, ive literally tried everything all her favourites and she shows no interest. She is drinking water out of a bowl not her bottle and is really cold. She is in a hutch in a garage and i have a fan heater near her hutch (on half of it so i can keep her warm but she can get out of the heat if she wants too). Her Husbunny is fine. She is spayed and almost one. Not had any health issues before but i wonder if maybe she has eaten something poisonous in the garden. All the other bunnies are fine and run in the same areas. Im worred she is getting gut stasis. Does anyone have any advice that could help before i can get her to the vets? Thanks :cry:

I would get her into the house in a pet carrier. Cover her with warm towels. A fan heater will not be enough for her.

Do not try to force feed her as if she has bloat this could cause serious complications

Do you know when she last produced any feces ?

Good luck at the Vets

ok thankyou i will do that now. Ive just been reading bramble leaves can sometimes help so im going to go and get some of those too. I rang the vets and explained i cant get there til 4.15 and she said there is nothing else she can suggest i do apart from keeping her warm and keep trying to tempt her with food

It does sound like it could be stasis the best thing to do it to keep her warm and get her to the vets as soon as possible. Hope the vets get her comfortable again :D

I would be wary of tempting her with food as its possible she may have a blockage. Is it too far to get a taxi?

I would get her into the house in a pet carrier. Cover her with warm towels. A fan heater will not be enough for her.

Do not try to force feed her as if she has bloat this could cause serious complications

Do you know when she last produced any feces ?

Good luck at the Vets

Im afraid i don't because she shares her hutch with her husbun so i cant tell whos are whos. I will bring her in now and make sure i warm her up and offer her warm water. Thankyou so much. Im so worried for her

It does sound like it could be stasis the best thing to do it to keep her warm and get her to the vets as soon as possible. Hope the vets get her comfortable again :D

I would be wary of tempting her with food as its possible she may have a blockage. Is it too far to get a taxi?

Ok thankyou i will leave the food then and focus on keeping her warm. I just rang my mum and shes going to try and finish early. She said it takes an hour to get to the vets and when i rang they said it will be about £80. Our local vets are shut til 5 and are not very rabbit savvy which is why we travel to the good ones x

All i can do is echo everyone elses advise. Its imperative her temperature doesnt drop too low. Bringing her inside is definatly the best thing to do. Wrap her up and sit her near a hot water bottle if you have one. If not rice warmed in the oven and put in a sock works well aswell.

If you have a syringe I would boil some water, allow it to cool (but so that its still warm) and give her some. She might even lickit from the syringe herself as one of my buns did when he was like this.

I would also advise bringing her husbun in with her so that she doesnt get too stressed out.

Hope she feels better soon :wave:

Sorry I have been so busy I haven't been online for ages. Bella fully recovered thankfully and is now happily back snuggled with her husbun being even more cheeky than ever. thanks so much to everyone who took the time to advise me and help. Really really appreciate it a lot :) xx

Back