• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor and Outdoor Rabbit?

CNewman

New Kit
Hello,

My names Catherine and I’ve been trying to find an answer to a rabbit related question but can’t seem to find it anywhere, so hopefully someone can help!
I am considering adopting a lovely Rabbit that is not getting the attention she needs. I’m a bit concerned she’s becoming a ‘forgotten rabbit’ and this would be terrible as she’s a really lovely rabbit. My question is related to her living space, I split my time between my flat and my partners house which means that I would buy two hutches. However at my flat, she would be living indoor and at my partners house she would be living outdoors. I am slightly concerned that this might not be good for her and wanted to check before making any decisions!
Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Catherine

Unfortunately, you can't really do that. Rabbits need a common home either indoor, or outdoor, especially in Autumn/Winter as the temperature difference between indoor/outdoor is too extreme and can quite literally kill a rabbit.

Well done for thinking about this before making a decision :)

Hi Catherine :wave:

Rabbits don't cope very well with fluctuations in temperature and, even at this time of year, the difference in temperatures between outdoors and inside would be too great. If bunny is currently living indoors, then she also won't have started moulting into a nice, thick indoor coat so she would really struggle outdoors too.

Is there any way you could persuade your partner to make some space indoors though perhaps? :D If you have a look at the indoor housing sticky at the top of the housing section, you will see some ideas for housing that might help influence the decision. ;)

Thanks so much for getting back to me quickly!
Looks like I'm going to have to get in my partners good books and see if he'll make some space!! Any advice regarding spaying also?
Shes a female rabbit and hasn't ever been taken to the vets, from what I've heard spaying is a good idea as it prevents a lot of health issues.

Catherine

Spaying is a great idea. It'll help stop her feeling the need to act upon her hormonal instincts/urges and also removes the possibility of ovarian cancer, which occurs in 85% of unspayed females before the age of 5 :(

How often is she going to be moving houses? Bear in mind that, even if both homes are indoors, it is still stressful for a territorial prey animal like a rabbit to move house. You also may see a loss of litter training when you move her, as she may feel the need to mark, or remark her new territory. Taking her entire familiar cage with you and her dirty litter tray (dont clean it) can help reduce the stress, as can having a bonded rabbit friend, but its still not ideal. Different rabbits are affected by environment changes differently, some get really upset if you even move the furniture in their, others will settle after a day or two just fine.

You're right about spaying, the main advantage is that if done properly it completely removes the risk of uterine cancer, which 80-85% of unspayed rabbits will get by the age of 5. She'll also become less territorial, which can decrease aggression, improve litter-training, and of course allow her to have a friend.

How often is she going to be moving houses? Bear in mind that, even if both homes are indoors, it is still stressful for a territorial prey animal like a rabbit to move house. You also may see a loss of litter training when you move her, as she may feel the need to mark, or remark her new territory. Taking her entire familiar cage with you and her dirty litter tray (dont clean it) can help reduce the stress, as can having a bonded rabbit friend, but its still not ideal. Different rabbits are affected by environment changes differently, some get really upset if you even move the furniture in their, others will settle after a day or two just fine.

You're right about spaying, the main advantage is that if done properly it completely removes the risk of uterine cancer, which 80-85% of unspayed rabbits will get by the age of 5. She'll also become less territorial, which can decrease aggression, improve litter-training, and of course allow her to have a friend.

You've never taken her to the vets? She needs vaccinating asap...

You've never taken her to the vets? She needs vaccinating asap...

Are you asking me or the OP? If me, my buns are up to date with vaccs and we visit the vet regularly due to Barney's snuffles, but I'm not sure how you were concerned by my post about that :? :)

Back