• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you start using a heat pad too early?

emseykins

Young Bun
I have two outdoor french lops, they never seem to care about how cold it gets and will just sit outside even when it got down to -22 last year! :shock:

However i always worry about them and am debating whether to buy a couple of heat pads, can you start using them too early though?

Anyone else got any tips specifically for French lops?

thanks!

:)

I don't know if you can start using them too early. Personally, I tend to save the snugglesafes for the really cold weather because I always think they won't get the benefit of them otherwise - that's just my thinking though. So that probably hasn't helped at all........ :oops::lol:

Rabbits do seem very fond of sitting in the open, even in very cold weather though. I always take the view that, as long as they have somewhere warmer to snuggle up in if they choose to, then they will have the sense to move there if they get too cold. The main things are to keep the housing dry and draught-free - they cope very well with cold itself but not while wet or in a draughty spot, so putting up tarpaulins/shutters etc will help.

You can add more bedding and/or put in a cardboard box stuffed with hay for them to snuggle up in too.

thanks that does help, i was thinking the same thing, they have an indoor area that they can retreat to if need be so surely they'd have the sense to go indoors if they're cold!

i've got tarp as well and when it gets really cold will probably stuff a cardboard box to see if i can encourage them to snuggle up in there lol!

I was absolutely freezing cold yesterday when fussing the buns outside, but just at the base of their ears where it's really soft and fuzzy :love: it was lovely and warm, so I assumed they were too. You have to remember that they are wearing purpose grown fur coats but we don't so we will feel the cold earlier than they will. I'm waiting until at least minus figures before using my snugglesafes, but that's my opinion. We had a ground frost last night but the bunnies were fine this morning; nice and warm in 'that' fuzzy spot.

aww that's so cute and a very good point! my buns ears always feel lovely and warm so i will remember to reassure myself that they are ok.

I'm going to order a couple of heat pads after next pay day then at least i've got them, i keep hearing that the weather is going to get into minus figures but i'm keeping my fingers crossed its not going to be for a while yet, i can just about cope with it as it is!

Back