• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help on poo's ( couldnt think of a better title sorry)

Misty's Mummy

Warren Scout
Is this Normal (see photo - apologies about the size) I dont think it is but thought i would ask

Not all of her poo's are like this, but i would say 80-90% they come out like this.

She is currently on Muesli but we are introducing pellets to her. The most she gets is a handful but ive been reducing the museli because she is also getting pellets. She also gets pro fibre. She gets unlimited hay all day everyday. She gets veg around 9-10pm. the only fruit and veg she will eat is carrots, kale, romaine lettuce, apple, pear, brussells, brocolli, pak choy, chicory. She also get herbs like mint corriander and basil etc. She doesnt get all that everyday

She does occasionally get a poo stuck to her bottom but it does fall off quite quickly and apart from that her bum is clean.

Also i dont know i thought of this but when i rabbit eats its poo, do they eat it right out of their bums like guinea pigs or do they eat for floor?

317064_10150424428130610_645065609_10783563_211178772_n.jpg

Last edited:
They eat it straight from their bums, its not normal poo, its smaller, lumpy, soft and shiny. Hopefully you wont ever see them, in a healthy rabbit you wont normally.

What you are seeing is the fur she is passing through. I would step up the brushing, I guess she is moulting? I would also get these https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hea...Remedy+:+Treat+Ums+for+Small+Animals.644.html or give fresh pineapple, or both. No idea why fresh but someone on here told me it had to be to work.

I would say 80-90% of poos being stringy is abnormal, but at least she is passing it through.

Plenty of fibre to push it through is good, make sure she is eating plenty of hay, offer her types she likes a few times a day (they like it much better fresh out the bag) and continue to reduce the museli like you're doing. Around an eggcup of pellets a day suits most buns, and a pile of hay at least the size of the bun, so aim to get to this eventually.

Thanks, I will use an egg cup to measure her food. Ive never really noticed she is moulting - the only time ive seen her hair all over the place was when she was building a nest. I will start brushing her more and see if it helps.

She only gets the spoonful of pro-fibre (says that on the tub) Should i increase that? Im going shopping tomorrow so i will get some pineapple.

Do they sell them things in pets at home do you know?

Thanks for replying :wave:

If giving pineapple make sure it s only a tiny amount. It is very high in sugar and may upset her tum. Normally, when they are moulting and produce these sorts of poos I make sure to give them a really good brush. I end up looking like a snowman but at least all the hair on me and the brush is not going through their tummies.

It certainly looks like she's moulting from those poops. :) The hair is a good sign because at least it shows that it's passing through the digestive system, rather than clogging in the stomach.

Pineapple is very sugary, and personally I think the benefits of it are very limited; it's important to ensure she had a good fluid intake though, as that will help the hair to pass. My two prefer their water slightly warm (with a splash of boiled water, not water from the hot tap :)) so I tend to refresh the water more often when they're having a moult to encourage them to drink more.

You can also help with regular grooming, as that will reduce the amount of hair she's ingesting. One of the best & easiest ways is to use damp hands and run them over the body - you end up with very hairy hands :lol: but it works. :D

Ive gave her a couple of wee bits of pineapple and she did eat it. Yesterday i bought a good brush set and attempted to brush her last night, which i dont think she liked it too much. :lol: Im going to get some of the hair treat ums.

I have noticed last night she didnt habe alot of joined together poo's

Ive also gave her a bit more pro-fibre in her diet and she's been trying the wagg nuggets for over a week now, so she gets an eggcup of that and the pro fibre. She dosent seem too keen on the nuggets right enough.

She does eat hay but probably not as much as some rabbits, but it was possibly because i was giving her too much food before finding out about the egg cup idea. I feel cruel because an eggcup really isnt alot :lol: We are getting Misty and the gpigs new cages at christmas and her new cage will have a hay rack, her cage she is in now dosent so she just gets it as her bedding/food, which i do clean regulary and always give her fresh hay. We have tryed boxes etc but she tips them over and flings them about.

As for water she isnt a big drinker!

Am i doing everything i should be?

Sounds like you are doing well. :wave: Keep an eye on her for weight loss if you have cut down her pellets a loss. The first time I tried this with Spenser he got very skinny, but he's fine now (I increased his pellets a bit from the eggcup ideal :oops:).

A few people on here have had buns getting injured by being caught in hay-racks. I don't use them anymore, although mainly becuase my Spenser prefers to eat his hay from the floor of his hutch, or even his litter basin.

Hi! When my rabbits are moulting I give them some plain puree pumpkin. It helps the hair to break down and not clot up. Also, yes you can get the treat ums from Pets at Home. That's where I get them! :lol: Hope all goes well

Back