• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for winter

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hey there, I have been trying to prepare my rabbit for winter but have no idea where to start. She lives in a homemade hutch. At the moment what I do is hang a thick towel over the wire mesh and then cover the hutch with tarpaulin. But I doubt that will be enough in the long run. What else could I do? It is her first winter outside (i was too scared to keep her out last winter as a baby so i squeezed her into the garage but she has grown too big now :/)
I was thinking of taking a hot water bottle and wrapping it in a cloth and sticking it under the straw for her. What else could I do? Thanks :)

I've seen a thing called a Snugglesafe heat pad. It goes under the bun (or cat or small dog or whatever) after being heated in a microwave. It holds heat for up to 10 hours. I'm considering one but would like to know - if anyone has one - is it okay to put it under hay (which is what my buns sleep on) and do they last well... couple of years at least, I hope.

I havnt actually got one yet but I think alot of people on here have them. I've heard they're very good. I am also planning on keeping my buns outside this winter. They were in the summerhouse last winter so had good protection. I'm planning on putting the bike shed in their run and putting their hutch in the bike shed for a bit of protection. I can see myself ditching that idea though if it gets really cold!! I know rabbits are meant to be able to handle the cold but I cant see how it can be pleasant for them!! Do they really grow enough fur to keep them warm even when its bitter outside?

despite me using a decent tarpaulin cover made to fit the hutch...mine still tend to sleep outside :/ silly bunnies! they have 2 snuggle safes which I rarely use but I leave them in there so I can try to remember :p With 4 bunnies all huddled up though I think mine are fine :)

Plenty of warm areas with loads of hay for snuggling into and a snuggle safe will be great! make sure that the bunny has a protected area with room for the snuggle safe and also away from it but still protected so they dont have to always be on the snuggle safe. Id not use a hot water bottle as the bunny may chew it and then hot water will burn the bunny. ;) Id def. get a snuggle safe as your bunny sounds like its an only bun so usually they would snuggle up together etc for warmth;) Some people also put plyboard cut to fit onto the runs areas to stop the wind etc....but of course its nice for the buns to see out etc. :wave:

please dont use a hot water bottle :shock: if your bun chews through it she will be scalded, snugglesafes are made from very hard plastic and are heated in the microwave and usually stay warm overnight if you heat up before you got to bed, plenty of straw, hay and fleece blankets and she will be fine cover the hutch from wind and rain i have two pairs of buns and will be using snugglesafe heat pad per pair loads of fleece blankets and have covered their runs which i have to make adjustments to this weekend as rain is still getting in and collecting on the top i need to angle it so rain runs off.

this will be my girls first winter they are 18 weeks old would you bun snuggle up to a teddy or is she a shredder (if this is the case be careful she doesnt eat the stuffing) but sone single buns like to cuddle with teddies, my buns have each other for warmth so a teddy is a suggestion but i cant recommend fleece blankets enough :wave:

I brought a snugglesafe. It's very good because I only have one bunny, so he needs it to keep him snug.
You can get them from amazon, on offer for £14.44 (i think) Got mine for free as I had a £15 gift card to spend.
I think someone on here said vet uk has the best price, so could try their website.

Lightning also has a fitted cover over his hutch. Im thinking about sticking some silver thermal blankets around his sleeping area. I got them off ebay for £2.50. I dont know if there work or not??

Have also brought a washable pet mat. To put down over the slabs his run sits on, so he will have the choice of sitting on something snuggly. His run is also covered so it wont get wet.

Thanks guys :) been helpful. I don't think ill use a hot water bottle then. Do rabbits like to sleep in cat beds? They have these little tent type cat beds on ebay made from fleece and I was thinking of getting one for her to snuggle into. Im trying to get hold of some fluffy fleece like material, I might try a fabric wholesaler in town :)

I've seen a thing called a Snugglesafe heat pad. It goes under the bun (or cat or small dog or whatever) after being heated in a microwave. It holds heat for up to 10 hours. I'm considering one but would like to know - if anyone has one - is it okay to put it under hay (which is what my buns sleep on) and do they last well... couple of years at least, I hope.

I have 4 of these for my bunnies. They were alittle expensive but shopping around on the internet i did get them cheaper than usual. My bunnies had these in bottom of the hay when it was really cold. my Frenchie wasn't that impressed with it normally putting his head on it was all he ever did. They did last for awhile but i tried to only do it in the evening cos they had their winter coat and didnt want them to moult.
My bunnies all have access to a run and normally spend the day in there run, mad bunnies cos i would want to stay in where it is warm.

hope this helps

You can also buy cheap £3 fleece blankets from Asda, Ikea, most home stores - even B&Q and also sometimes poundland! I just bought a lovely turquoise one from B&Q! ;)

I found a snugglesafe on eBay for about £15. I have washed the covers and they look good as new :) had one of them about 2 years and the other just 1. I think they're great, the rabbits however will sit on them, then go out in the run :roll: :lol:

Donny has his under his hay and Lola has hers in her house in the run under a blanket :)

Oh yeah I forgot about poundland and Asda :) will check them out for fleece. Yeah I have been looking around at the prices of those snugglesafe pads and they do seem expensive but everyone says that they are good so I will invest in one :)

Can you move the hutch into the garage for the winter with a run attached?

Is your girly spayed? If so another bun to snuggle up to would be great for her :D

No room in the garage :( tis only a small house (well its got loads of clutter lol)
And she is spayed and ive been really wanting to find her a mate to adopt but I don't know if my hutch is big enough...I always thought they wont let me adopt a bunny if my hutch isn't big enough :/ Unless I have it wrong. They would get full run of the garden though?

Im feeling a bit worried about the winter coming on!! :? But we have a hutch cover, lots and lots of hay, the hutch is in a shelered position (againist the side of the house in a corner where the house meets the fencing) and I have just ordered them a snugglesafe each :) £12 something from vetuk and free delivery over £19!! :thumb:

Back