• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Miffy's weight

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi

Miffy (A lionhead) has early stages of renal failure (he is nearly 8) and although he is in no way suffering (I am in regular contact with my vet and he is about to have another blood test etc) he has lost a fair bit of weight.

To make it a little more complicated the poor little thing has also now lost all of this teeth (a sweet relief for him in some ways as they caused him alot of discomfort and frequent vet visits)

I have mastered what to feed him and he is always greedy, but I want to bring him back up to the 190/ 200 kg mark (he is 170 at moment). Due to his age and his frailties I must admit I have now weakened my own strict rules on what I feed him and sometimes he get a lick of peanut butter! Any ideas what I can feed him to keep him energised and healthy for his condition?

Currently he has very very finely chopped dried grass, softened nuggetts with water and crushed into a powder that we call "sludge", green veg that I blitz in the food processor into tiny pieces, v. finely chopped tomato and cucumber (and 2 sultanas a day!) He is on excel mature nuggets which has glucosimine, cranberry and ginseng.

Ideally I would like to put something into his "sludge", say something with lots of fibre, but it has to be a powder or very finely chopped. Oh, and he also has arthritis!

Last edited:
I would wonder about adding in junior pellets because they have higher protein so add weight easier (mature pellets have a much lower protein due to being less active generally). I would also wonder about soaking oats in hot water and then adding those in (rolled oats, not quick, or instant or flavoured).

I'm not sure what you can add in terms of fibre though, maybe a high fibre count pellet? SS junior maybe?

yes the porridge thing is a good idea, he loves stuff like that, just plain oats with warm water. (if i let him he would eat the sweet stuff but I wont!)

The junior nuggets is a good idea too and had wondered about this too. Anyone else?

Sky-O's advice is excellent as always and I have no more suggestions. Didn't want to read and run though.

Back