• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing hay

Alicia

Mama Doe
My mum has said I can start buying bales of hay, because a pet shop bag of hay lasts 2 days and I worked out it costs £24 a month, and it's not even good quality hay :evil:
Mum said I can buy a bale as long as I can store it somewhere. I was going to put it in the shed, but in a few weeks the guinea-pigs will be moving in there and I don't want them eating all of it in one go :lol: I know people have suggested big garden storage boxes, but I've got some smaller plastic storage boxes, can I break the bale up and put them in the storage boxes and just stack the boxes on top of each other in the wendy house. I don't know if this would make the hay go bad?

If you could drill homes in the boxes to keep it ventilated it might work. I have my hay in a double duvet cover but I don't know if the piggies would chew through that.

Would big cardboard boxes with holes in them be ok? I just think it might be easier to make holes in the cardboard than plastic.

fabric bag/boxes would be better so the hay doesnt get mouldy....we have 8 piggies and 2 bunnies .we save around £300+ a year by buying our hay at a farm shop!

Would big cardboard boxes with holes in them be ok? I just think it might be easier to make holes in the cardboard than plastic.

That sounds like a good idea and much cheaper too! See what the other members say, I've only ever had one bale of hay and I haven't even got half way through it yet. :)

baled hay is great it lasts ages even for me :thumb::lol:
why dont u put it in the shed with the pigs but just cover it up with something
or put it ontop of there hutch or next too it :)

Back