• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When will you start bedding down your rabbits at night??

Emily16

Warren Scout
Ok i my guinea pigs and rabbit share a cage but it IS a blocked off two tier so there not together, atm mine have a fleece coming down the front and 2 shower curtains so the wind cant get in and then i hold them down with what ever i can find. Ive got another blanket to put on soon and im going to buy some insulating stuff just to cover the roof of the hutch and then they will get extra hay and straw in there bed area to snuggle so i have 2 more things to add to the cage and something to put inside. I am asking as when i was doing work out there about half hour ago it was FREEZING my fingers are still cold and i can hardly type lol, i dont want to cover them up too early so it doesnt make any affect when it gets even colder... Im not sure if i should use my other fleece now and add the insulation and extra hay and straw in the later months or what as its never been this cold before this early in the year, not what in can remember anyway haha.
How would you do it and when will you bed your rabbits and other outdoor animals down at night?? Is it too early to to it completely yet?

I have no idea really, but guinea pigs are especially fragile and can't keep as warm as buns can so I'd keep them as warm as possible.

My rabbits have their hessian sack and tarp cover on. They have got a deep layer of straw in the bedroom. I havnt put the shutters on yet. I will put them on when it goes into - temps.

I put some extra straw in their bed chamber yesterday and today so it's quite a thick layer now. I'm resisting using the snugglesafes though until it drops into minus numbers else they won't appreciate them.

I put some extra straw in their bed chamber yesterday and today so it's quite a thick layer now. I'm resisting using the snugglesafes though until it drops into minus numbers else they won't appreciate them.

This is exactly the same as me. Their hutches are very snuggly at the moment. Their weather proofing is giong towards the higher end, but they still have run of their aviary bit as well as the hutch.

Come minus numbers I will use more silver backed beachmats and snuggle safes under water bowls and in bedded areas as necessary.

Thanks guys i think i'll hold off until start of november with the blankets and bedding down further UNLESS it gets very cold over the next few days then i will obviously bed them down earlier

I put extra hay in with Larmee last night. I think it must have been very cold because when I went to feed him and let him out first thing this morning he had snuggled right into the hay. All I could see was his nose poking out :lol:

Mine have an extra layer of hay in their litter trays and have tarps over to keep them dry. Only Starfish has her snugglesafe because she's not,well and I want to make sure she is cosy. The other two never sit in where the snugglesafe is anyway.

Don't completely wrap the hutch - you must make sure you have a good air flow around it. My bunny vet always says the healthiest animals are those who have a nice warm and dry bed with a howling gale blowing through their living accommodation! If you enclose the living quarters too much, the area may become damp with condensation and that's going to cause respiratory problems. As long as the bunsters and piggles have somewhere warm and dry to sleep, they'll be fine with a more open living area, even in the depths of winter.

Don't completely wrap the hutch - you must make sure you have a good air flow around it. My bunny vet always says the healthiest animals are those who have a nice warm and dry bed with a howling gale blowing through their living accommodation! If you enclose the living quarters too much, the area may become damp with condensation and that's going to cause respiratory problems. As long as the bunsters and piggles have somewhere warm and dry to sleep, they'll be fine with a more open living area, even in the depths of winter.

Yes, don't allow mould to grow in a badly ventilated space. The bunnies will grow a thick winter coat and don't mind the cold very much. Mine always sit by the mesh door and even at night they ignore the insulated bedroom.

Ok thats i never realised that, i'll change the sheets round later so they have lots of air flow, i might switch the piggies round as archie wont go in the pod ad the upstairs area has a windproof area and the guinea pigs will use the pod, will have to see tomorrow as its getting sooo freezing!

Back