• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Progress: Finished

Daniel

Alpha Buck
I’m posting this now as I would like to get some feedback on the hutch I’ve built so far for my rabbit. Still a lot to do; fit the doors, line with plywood, lino the floor and put last the layer of roof on, oh and add another level to the left side. It's just under 9ft long and is around 2.9ft wide.

Hoping that its okay.

6260335267_876e187e0f_z.jpg
6260333967_f07faf9507_z.jpg

Last edited:
wow, what wood did you use?
and what kind of i can't remember what you call it but like slotting pattern of wood did you use?
you see i am thinking of building a hutch and would like some advice.

How tall is it? Bun needs to be able to peroscope:D & will there be a permanent run? Looking good though:D

It's just less than 2ft high at the sides and is just under 3ft high at the centre, once done I'll let you know the finished internal and external sizes.
Once hutch is done, I'll build a run and some tunnels.

The timber is Redwood and those slotting pattern wood as you called it is called cladding, it's just redwood tongue and groove cladding. Your better of going to a local timber yard and getting them to give you joinery first grade redwood, not only is the timber better than those at B&Q and the like, it's much cheaper.

It's for one bunny called Daisy.

That's looking really good - Daisy will love it I'm sure and it sounds like it'll last a very long time too. :D:thumb:

Update

For those interested in seeing more I’ve added the roof shingles and I also added an inside photo below.

6263867534_1b154eeaae.jpg

6263866012_0f6300fca9.jpg

6263864820_2b17d71614.jpg

That looks really good, are you going to be raising it up off the ground a bit to stop the base getting damp?

Really impressed at this!!!

Any chance of something inside the hutch so we can see how big it is :) like a football/tennis ball etc

That looks really good, are you going to be raising it up off the ground a bit to stop the base getting damp?

No, i wasn't going to. Its 170mm (17cm /0.5ft) of the ground, if i remember rightly during my college years anything above 130mm is fine as long as good airflow underneath. The whole stand is rested on 32mm blocks which will give 32mm (3.2cm) airflow which will dry the timber.

Really impressed at this!!!

Any chance of something inside the hutch so we can see how big it is :) like a football/tennis ball etc

Tomorrow I'll put a 2m level in, would that be okay for you? Have to be tomorrow as I've boarded it up again and this is due to the doors not ready yet. Don't want the floor to get wet, been raining every day so far this week and i've been out in it :D

Back