• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions about spaying?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
I have just requested some more information on some bunnies that need a home locally, they are two girls about 6 months old that havnt yet been spayed. They currently live together. When is the right time to spay them? and can they live together right after being spayed? or do they need recovery time apart? Also could they both be spayed at the same time or would it be best to do one then the other? Im scared at the thought of having them spayed incase something happens although i know its paramount that its done!

Im just curious...not sure if anything will come if it yet as I havnt heard back but just wanted to answer a few questions that I was thinking about :)

Last edited:
As long as the Doe is in good health spaying can be done from 5-6 months of age. Some Vets will do it sooner, but I would not spay a Doe under 5 months unless absolutely essential.

All my Does remain with their bonded partners as IMO it aids recovery.

I would get the Does spayed at the same time so they can recover together. If you work I would advise booking a couple of days leave for after the spay incase they require some additional nursing care.

Thanks for your reply... Am I right in thinking that they would need to be kept in the house right after their ops? That's the bit I'm worried about...worried for them as I have 3 small children and no where that I could put the buns for peace and quiet! We only have 1 living room and a kitchen downstairs, kitchen is tint so no type of cage could fit in there and I have no garage...Eek this might be more of a problem than I thought :(

What type of cage would they need for however long they needed to be indoors (how big?) they would be outdoor buns with a large hutche and run or possibly shed with run.

I don't work so that's no problem :)

Just a thought how about the bath tub?? Sounds wierd but it's only for a couple of days. They will be warm, seure and so easy for you to clean out too. Make sure you put lots of bedding down so they dont slip. :wave:

Hi

I have replied on the 'rabbits in need' thread too. I kept my two girls together and they were spayed at the same time. They came indoors for two nights which I know is less than recommended but they were doing so well and I believed that they would do even better if less stressed and back where they belonged. They were spayed in November but it was fairly mild at the time. For the time they were inside I kept them in a puppy crate in the utilty room where it was no too warm but a bit warmer than outside. It is stressful but I'm sure it will be worth it, the two girls look gorgeous.

Let us know what you decide.:D

Just a thought how about the bath tub?? Sounds wierd but it's only for a couple of days. They will be warm, seure and so easy for you to clean out too. Make sure you put lots of bedding down so they dont slip. :wave:

I really would not advise doing this. They may panic and try to jump out. They could seriously damage themselves so soon after major abdominal surgery.

Are the Does in a Rescue ? Could you arrange for the Rescue to get them spayed and you fund it ? Most Rescues wont rehome without neutering first anyway :? Then they could come to you when they have recovered from their surgery.

Jane's idea is a good one. Or see if someone would foster them through their recovery. Given how old it is getting I wouldn't want them outside after a GA or with a wound. They also need close monitoring to make sure they are eating and drinking like normal.

I really would not advise doing this. They may panic and try to jump out. They could seriously damage themselves so soon after major abdominal surgery.

Are the Does in a Rescue ? Could you arrange for the Rescue to get them spayed and you fund it ? Most Rescues wont rehome without neutering first anyway :? Then they could come to you when they have recovered from their surgery.

I'm so sorry I really wouldn't want any harm to come to any bunnies at all. Please ignore my post on this

Back