• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

winter exercise for outdoor buns

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser really isn't getting as much exercise now. Our grass is permanently wet as it takes a few days to dry out and we never get more than a couple of days without rain. He will not play on wet grass. :roll:Last year we set up his pen on the slabs in front of the hutch, but it's not secure enough for unsupervised play. He is in the conservatory for at least a couple of hours (often much more) each day, but he spends a lot of this time comfortably settled on the windowsil. I haven't given up hope of getting him a proper attached run, but there are complications as it's not my garden ...

In the meantime, I suspect that Lord Spenser is putting on weight.

Sorry, I had to laugh at Lord Spenser not liking wet grass! :lol:

But in all seriousness, if he is getting a couple of hours in the conservatory every day, he should be ok. Is he just being lazy? I know he's a 'particular' bunneh, but could you not scatter food in the conservatory for him to find? Or is he not bothered?

He's not fat, he's fluffing himself up against the cold

I know your folks use the space in front of his hutch during potting time but do they use it over winter? How about putting a run there over winter like my ones that can be moved and folded away when not in use? If you cover it with a tarpaulin that you can lift if it's sunny then he'll have a weather proof exercise space.

I know your folks use the space in front of his hutch during potting time but do they use it over winter? How about putting a run there over winter like my ones that can be moved and folded away when not in use? If you cover it with a tarpaulin that you can lift if it's sunny then he'll have a weather proof exercise space.

I'll look into the folding-run idea. Do you mean a square or rectangular version of the pen he has on the grass. Actually he was out this morning for a short time. I put lots of cardboard in the run so that he had stepping stones to keep his paws dry.

I'll look into the folding-run idea. Do you mean a square or rectangular version of the pen he has on the grass. Actually he was out this morning for a short time. I put lots of cardboard in the run so that he had stepping stones to keep his paws dry.

Yes, the ones with a roof. I am sure 'we' could fit a lockable cat flap or position doors together to attach it. Can you pm me a pic of his hutch please?

Do you think your folks would go for it?

ETA Why don't you think he doesn't like the wet grass? Is it because he flicks his back paws wildly as he hops? If it is, they all do this to stop water building up on their footsies.

Lady agrees that grass is too common for regal bunny feet (we tried her a few times in the run on the lawn, and even with dry grass she refused to go on it and sat on the ledge in the run instead :lol:)

If the grass isn't too wet how about drying it off with a towel? (yes, I have been known to go on hands and knees and dry off a patch of grass so that piggies/bunnies don't get wet paws :oops:)

I think the scattering food in the conservatory idea is a good one too :)

Yes, the ones with a roof. I am sure 'we' could fit a lockable cat flap or position doors together to attach it. Can you pm me a pic of his hutch please?

Do you think your folks would go for it?

ETA Why don't you think he doesn't like the wet grass? Is it because he flicks his back paws wildly as he hops? If it is, they all do this to stop water building up on their footsies.

Yes, he does this, but looks very cross. Eventually he sits down and loks miserable.

Perhaps if you can get a run sorted - you can put those mats -- those spongey interlocking mats down for when he is in the run...then his feet will stay dry...if the run has a cover on it -then it should stay dry too:)

Back