• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young Rabbit attacked by another rabbit and I want to help!

millymolly3

Young Bun
Hello,

I am asking for advice please.....? (apologies for the long question!)

I am a new bunny owner (having two mini rex's for 3 months) and I have just fallen in love with a little mini lion lop x buck about 10-12 weeks old that needs a new home.

The problem is that he has been attacked by another rabbit so has a few bite marks and half of one of his ear's has been badly chewed/damaged :cry:. The vet has checked him over a couple of times and says that he is now ready to be adopted. I would love to give him a home and lots of tlc but I know I am a noivce at this!

I observed his behaviour and was pleased to see that he was lying on his side in his enclosure and then hopped around, groomed himself and then came up to the glass. I was allowed to pick him up and although he wasn't happy at being picked up ( I know this is common and he is young) but then he was fine with me stroking and cuddling him, He didn't struggle, bite or anything. However, I am concerned that whilst the physical scars will heal, he might have problems in the future because of this attack? I am hoping that with the right home, he is young enough to become a happy bunny???

Any advice would be most appreciated,
Thanks

It might be a lot harder to bond him because of that past bad experience with another rabbit.

Thanks for your advice, I thought that would be the case but I would be happy to have him as a house rabbit, I am currently looking at cages just in case:)

The young bun will probably be harder than most to bond but I'm sure if you tried with a very docile rabbit and introduced them very slowly it could work. When I bond I start off by having one on the floor and the other on my knee, my hand covering it's head so the other rabbit can have a good sniff without feeling threatened and then I swap them around

Are your current 2 bunnies neutered? Will the new boy be neutered? Bonding is so much easier if all the rabbits are neutered.

You will have to be very careful with this bond, making sure you spend longer at each stage than you might have otherwise. Given you are happy to have him as a house rabbit then yes, give it a go.
They will all have to be neutered before you embark on this bond and it will be a few months till he will be old enough.

All the best!

Many thanks to all of you for your advice, really appreciated!

I definitely decided on offering him a home and went out and bought an indoor cage but when I went this morning to collect him, he had been given to someone else :cry:

I will continue to look for another suitable bunny to join our family

Many thanks to all of you for your advice, really appreciated!

I definitely decided on offering him a home and went out and bought an indoor cage but when I went this morning to collect him, he had been given to someone else :cry:

I will continue to look for another suitable bunny to join our family

aww bless poor you but at least bunny has a home xxx

Back