• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please...Young Bunny attacked by other rabbit!

millymolly3

Young Bun
Hello,

I am asking for advice please.....? (apologies for the long question!)

I am a new bunny owner (having two mini rex's for 3 months) and I have just fallen in love with a little mini lion lop x buck about 10-12 weeks old that needs a new home.

The problem is that he has been attacked by another rabbit so has a few bite marks and half of one of his ear's has been badly chewed/damaged :cry:. The vet has checked him over a couple of times and says that he is now ready to be adopted. I would love to give him a home and lots of tlc but I know I am a noivce at this!

I observed his behaviour and was pleased to see that he was lying on his side in his enclosure and then hopped around, groomed himself and then came up to the glass. I was allowed to pick him up and although he wasn't happy at being picked up ( I know this is common and he is young) but then he was fine with me stroking and cuddling him, He didn't struggle, bite or anything. However, I am concerned that whilst the physical scars will heal, he might have problems in the future because of this attack? I am hoping that with the right home, he is young enough to become a happy bunny???

Any advice would be most appreciated,
Thanks

Last edited:
He should be absolutely fine in the future. Some buns may harbour fear or distrust of other rabbits once they have been attacked, but usually they will be okay.

What are you planning to do with him if you take him on? Are your other 2 buns neutered or due to be neutered?

Hi, and thanks for your reply

My other two bucks were neutered a couple of weeks ago, they are brothers and seem to be getting along fine. They are outside in a large hutch with all the snuggle and huggle covers ready for the cold weather.

I have just ordered a hutch and run which is being delivered shortly (after talking my hubby around to letting me get another bun - I have been looking at mini lops) but when I was in a local, large pet shop today getting supplies, I stubbled across this little chap and fell in love :love:

I was thinking of having this little one inside because he is still young and his bad start in life! I don't have much space but I could accommodate him in our conservatory which is cold but not as cold as outside! (I am looking at indoor cages).

He could go outside in the new hutch maybe next year when he is older ?

Hi, and thanks for your reply

My other two bucks were neutered a couple of weeks ago, they are brothers and seem to be getting along fine. They are outside in a large hutch with all the snuggle and huggle covers ready for the cold weather.

I have just ordered a hutch and run which is being delivered shortly (after talking my hubby around to letting me get another bun - I have been looking at mini lops) but when I was in a local, large pet shop today getting supplies, I stubbled across this little chap and fell in love :love:

I was thinking of having this little one inside because he is still young and his bad start in life! I don't have much space but I could accommodate him in our conservatory which is cold but not as cold as outside! (I am looking at indoor cages).

He could go outside in the new hutch maybe next year when he is older ?

Good that your two lads are neutered :)

If you take the young one on I would definitely keep as an indoor bunny for the winter with a view to him going outside in the spring. It's too late on in the year to put him outside now as he wouldn't have developed a winter coat. It would be better for him to have a companion if he is to go outside as well.

May I ask what size hutch your two boys are in? Don't mean to sound nosey or anything but it's good to promote decent sized hutches etc for buns.

Hi again,

My two boys are in a 5ft x 2ft x 3ft hutch (I have them covered in a snuggle and hugger but I am worried as the forecast is bad :().

I bought this size based on the information I found in a number of rabbit books that I purchased before I obtained the boys as I wanted to get it right. Now that I am a rabbit owner and have found this forum and joined RWAF, I now know that 6ft plus is the recommended size in general but as I have mini rex's, I hope this will suffice until I can save up to buy a shed (that's my ambition). I also have a run that I move around the garden and put them in each day. I was told that due to their hocks, they cannot have a run on concrete and if they have access to a run on grass all the time they could get 'bloat' 'hence the separate run but now I discover that most rabbit owners recommend an attached run :?

WARNING RANT AHEAD....I have found lots of conflicting advice out there that has really frustrated me when I have been trying to find out all there is to know about good rabbit care. I do not want to rant, but I have been trying hard to get it right but am getting confused eg.. some say outside bunnies should remain outside, do not bring them in over the winter as changes in temperature are not good and they will not aclimatise, others say you must bring them in, even if it is just for exercise, because it is going to be so cold (exception for the young, I know young rabbits cannot just be put outside this time of year).

I have not got much space but as I have fallen for this little buck, I have just bought a 4ft indoor cage for the conservatory and he will remain inside until the spring and he can have free run in there for exercise. Next year I will see what is best, whether to keep him as an indoor bunny or maybe try bonding him with a female and put them outside (I will be getting him neutered and vaccinated).

I am trying to be a good rabbit owner :)

Sounds like your being a very good bunny owner. Unfortunalty there is alot of conflicting info for most types of pets on the internet. I remember reading somewhere that if you put an out door rabbit into a house the temperature change could kill it! Im sure thats not true but who knows! Ive had my buns for almost a year (although have always had them before but i was a child) and ive learnt so much. You just have to go by what you can see. If your buns look happy and content and they have lots of space and good unlimited hay then im sure they are fine. Well done on having their vacs and neutering them. Not many people think of that when they get their first buns. As you say rexes are prone to sore hocks so just keep an eye out for that. If your worried about the could weather you could get a snugglesafe to keep them warm. My dad made under floor heating for our outdoor buns when i was little lol

A couple of years ago I had two unneutered males that escaped and had a huge fight, one ended up having emergency surgery.. However both fully recovered and easily bonded with females several months later :wave:

Back