• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Please - lost 2 bunnies in 3 days :(

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe I'm typing this but Lena, my last bunny has just died in my arms in exactly the same way as Debbie did on Sunday night, same time and everything :cry:

I came home at 5.45 to find her struggling for breath a little and not interested in food, ran her round to the vets where she had 2 lots of anti-biotics, vet said no blockages but sounded like a respiratory infection that had come on really quickly - can this happen? Because this happened to both of them, she was fine this morning. I'm really concerned that something in my home has caused this :( We have no gas so no carbon monoxide or anything... I'm gutted. :cry:

Can't be of any help as to the cause but wanted to say how sorry I am - you must be devastated.

I am so very sorry to hear this.

I feel for you.

I have to suggest that it might be worth getting a PM done as there is a new strain of VHD that has taken some bunnies that were vaccinated local to me last week. A lady lost her two bunnies 4 days apart and it was confirmed that it was VHD by tissue testing. Her rabbits were both vaccinated.

Binky free Lena and Debbie.

I am so sorry, how awful :cry: I would suggest getting a PM done too so you can hopefully find out what's happened. Hugs xx

I am so sorry :cry:

It sounds like an acute pneumonia, often caused by Pasteurella. Obviously this is only a guess, but the rapid onset, the respiratory distress and sudden death all fit with acute pneumonia.

What an awful thing for you to have to go through :cry:

I believe there is a strain of myxi called pneumonic myxi that can cause death extremely rapidly (no lumps or anything just sudden onset of respiratory infection and then death)

If there's a chance it could be respiratory, would it be worth putting the others on antibiotics as a precaution? :?

So sorry for your sad losses :cry:

Back