• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any suggestions for helping a bun to put ON weight?

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
I'm currently fostering a lovely, agouti French lop boy who was found as a stray. He has mites which are being treated and is on Ceporex for infection in his back teeth, which are also in a bad state. He is eating for England (SS pellets in particular, 3 meals a day!) and loves his greens but so far his weight seems to be going the wrong way :( Any tips on helping him to bulk up? Thanks!

id talk to the vet first but i hear these are really good for helping putting on weight

fingers crossed little bun pulls through and bulks up:love:

I have to give my oldies a teaspoon of porridge oats each per day in order to maintain their weight. It's best not to feed anything sugary as the digestive process will cause it to ferment possibly causing GI stasis/bloat.

Junior pellets are higher in protein so conducive to gaining weight. Rolled oats (not flavoured, quick or instant) are good too. As are black sunflower seeds. Fruits (if he gut will tolerate them) can be good too due to the sugar, although that's not the healthiest way to do it. There's something else too, but I can't remember what.

Depending on the condition of his gut, if his gut is not 100% then protexin profibre pellets can help because they can get his gut in top notch condition and therefore far more able to absorb as much as possible.

Also, SS are a very healthy pellet, but, because they are heathier, they don't have the sugars and suchlike in that Excel and other pellets have, which can make it difficult for them to help a bunny put on weight.

Back