• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nose sore

Hello, my rabbit has a very sore nose it looks puss coloured and has little red sores this has come on in the last few days has anyone got any idea what it could be? For back ground info my rabbit has only been outside for a month and a half and with this cold weather I originally thought it was a cold but looks bad now any help would be grateful thank you x

Has your rabbit been vaccinated against myxomatosis? (and are you in England?)

I suspect that this is what the rabbit has and you should see a vet as soon as possible as this is a very fast acting and dreadful disease.

rabbits cannot get colds.

Is your rabbit vaccinated?

That sounds very much like the onset of myxomatosis.

Does he have any sores/lumps anywhere else? Can you check his genital area and see if its red/inflamed? Do his eyes look sore/inflamed?

If this is the case, you need to see a rabbit savvy vet URGENTLY. Myxo is a killer.

If possible do you have a picture of these sores you could show us?

yes i am in the uk, and no hes hasnt had any injections, i have taken a photo but it wont let me transfer the image from my phone, i will keep trying thou x

Okay, in which case, yuor bunny could be in a VERY severe situation. You need to get him to a vet urgently for treatment.

A rabbit with myxi CAN be treated, but it can be a VERY long drawn out process. parsnipbun is (in my opinion) very much the best person to comment on this, as has dealt with a fair few myxi cases!

I completely agree with the other two. I think you need to get him a vets appointment tonight. The prognosis is not likely to be good and I'm very sorry you're faced with this.

photo.php

I am very sorry that he has not had his vaccinations as this makes it very very difficult to treat myxomatosis (which it does sound very like).

Please do call a vet and explain that this is urgent.

Whereabouts are you and how old is the rabbit?

(if you don't mind us asking also how old are you - knowing this can help with the advice :):))

Hi

sorry had to ask about age - but we sometimes get very young people on here (10 year olds etc) and then have to be careful about saying 'you have to go to vet' etc as of course they need help from parents to do that.

If you could have another attempt at uploading an image we would try and give you a pretty certain diagnosis of myxi or not - although whatever we say on here you should get the bun to a vet asap.

A lot of vets are bot that knowledgeable about rabbits (yours may not be if they have not insisted that you vaccinate the bun every 6 months against myxi) . .

so it might help if you also start a new thread with the words 'recommendations for rabbit savvy vet near XXXX' (whatever town you are near.

The only other possibility other than myxi sounds as though it would be an abcsess but both need immediate veterinary attention.

Is the bun girl/boy nuetered etc?

Can you just tip him/her up for a moment and see if there private parts are swollen and pink? If so then I am afraid that it is more or less certainly myxi . . . unless they are scurfy and scabby in which case it might just be rabbit syphlis I guess.

Back