• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat litter

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone use this for their rabbits litter trays?

I'd never used anything but newspaper and hay but recently ran out of newspaper so bought carefresh - it was good but pricey. In fact, it was excellent at keeping smells down.

My mate suggested a layer of newspaper, cat litter then a sheet of newspaper over the top and then tons of hay - would this work?

I cant get magazorb around here otherwise i would give this a go.

Yes, I use cat litter and I love it. It does a great job at keeping smells down.
Moving to try easibed shortly, because recently, the price of cat litter has gone up elsewhere, so pets at home is the cheapest place to buy it now - when pets at home is cheapest, you know it's time to try something else ;)

I can't use newspaper because snowball is white and whenever I've tried, he's ended up black :lol::lol:

You should never use cat litter for rabbit litter as it can seriously harm them.

I would stick to you newspaper and hay :)

non clumping wood based cat litter is fine for rabbits :wave:

You should never use cat litter for rabbit litter as it can seriously harm them.

I would stick to you newspaper and hay :)

Oh - i didnt realise.

Carefresh is ok though? And megazorb isnt it?

I was fine with newspaper and hay but i had an op last week and the carefresh was fab at keeping the smells down. Whereas i change trays daily, i could get away with changing them every other day.

I dont normally mind cleaning them out at all - i generally enjoy it tbh :oops: but i thought the cat litter might do as a substitute for carefresh or megazorb. I wont be tempted tho - thanks for the warning!!

Yes, I use cat litter and I love it. It does a great job at keeping smells down.
Moving to try easibed shortly, because recently, the price of cat litter has gone up elsewhere, so pets at home is the cheapest place to buy it now - when pets at home is cheapest, you know it's time to try something else ;)

I can't use newspaper because snowball is white and whenever I've tried, he's ended up black :lol::lol:

Oh yes, of course! Didn't think of that, as I use the clay based stuff for my cats (automatically thought of this when the word cat litter was mentioned! :oops:)

Lol at Snowball - bless! :lol:

I have been using recycled paper pellet cat litter for many years for the rabbits without any problem.

The cats litter to avoid is the clumping type which contains clay. It will cause a severe blockage if the rabbits eat it.

Oh - now i am confused!! :?

Daisy and Lilly are both white and both fine with newspaper. Only if there's plenty of hay on there tho.

I have been using recycled paper pellet cat litter for many years for the rabbits without any problem.

The cats litter to avoid is the clumping type which contains clay. It will cause a severe blockage if the rabbits eat it.

Thanks - so it's specifically the non-clumping stuff.

Thank you :wave:

Thanks - so it's specifically the non-clumping stuff.

Thank you :wave:

You can also get non clumping clay based cat litter too - which I would also stay away from.

So I would go with the paper based and wood based cat litter only ;)

Very confusing stuff! :lol:

I buy wood pellets in bulk from a local equine supply store and keep them in a large kitchen bin under the stairs. They're used for horse bedding but make great litter for small pets. Just put a scoopful in the litter tray and cover with hay.

13.5kg for £4.25 - much cheaper than cat litter and the rabbits don't eat it like they did with Megazorb.

How about the paper cat litter from ASDA?

Used to use it for my cats, Recently considered using it for my buns

Back