• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Considering Convenia again -what dosage regimes have you tried? and side effects?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Well after a several months of 'holding' Parsley's really very very severe inner ear infection with Baytril it looks like we are going to have to try something else again as its just starting to get worse again.

Of the couple of things it shows sensitivity to we have not yet tried Convenia and the vet is now thinking of it -

what regime is anyone else on? and have they had side effects?

(PS we have already tried metranidozol, rifampicin, depocillin, baytril and another one I cant recall the name of . . .plus ear drops of various kinds . . . and the things you stick in the ear for a few days . . . so convenia is the next one . . it is meant to be resistant to Baytril but Baytril has been keeping it in 'check' somehow )

Last edited:
We used Convenia every 7 days for Tilly and Rosie (alongside probiotics). Some people find it works only for 5 days or so in their rabbits. My vet is very happy to liaise with other vets RE Convenia, so I'm sure he would still be happy to liaise with your vets, because he was when you were previously considering it.

With Tilly we started with giving it every 2 weeks but we clearly saw an improvement in her head tilt on day 2, and then she went back over on day 9, so we gradually cut it down to every 7 days because that worked for her. She was on it solidly for 3 months (i.e. when she reached a plateau and then a further month to consolidate it all).

We never saw any side effects in either Rosie or Tilly with the Convenia, but there is an increased risk of gut issues, as you know.

We used Convenia every 7 days for Tilly and Rosie (alongside probiotics). Some people find it works only for 5 days or so in their rabbits. My vet is very happy to liaise with other vets RE Convenia, so I'm sure he would still be happy to liaise with your vets, because he was when you were previously considering it.

With Tilly we started with giving it every 2 weeks but we clearly saw an improvement in her head tilt on day 2, and then she went back over on day 9, so we gradually cut it down to every 7 days because that worked for her. She was on it solidly for 3 months (i.e. when she reached a plateau and then a further month to consolidate it all).

We never saw any side effects in either Rosie or Tilly with the Convenia, but there is an increased risk of gut issues, as you know.

Hi:wave::wave:

do you know the dosage you used?? Not sure if there is a set dose due to it not being used that much so want to make sure we do same as others.

(apols its a repeat question . . but rather than restarting original thread thought this might hunt out anyone else who has used in last few months since we last considered).

In cats the dose is given by weight, and my vet used that to dose the rabbits too. So it was dosed as stated on the label, based on the weight of the rabbit. Does that make sense?

Back