• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will they be warm enough???

Hi, my four bunnies live in a lovely playhouse that my OH built this year. My question is will they be warm enough throught the winter as this is the first one they would have spent in it. They have thick wood covers on all the windows at night, are fully insulated and wll have a heat pad per pair of bunnies. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to keep them warm???:D In the summer just gone it was lovely and cool in there for them when the tempreture outside was hitting 80! I'm hoping it will work the other way around and keep them warm in the winter as its said on the roll of insulation :D I used the bubble wrap foil insulation all over the inside of the playhouse (double layer on the roof as I had lots left over)! I really would love to have them all in bed with me as I just love them all to bits but I think my hubby would rather they stayed outside!! :lol:

If you search for "Winter Care" in I think Rabbit Chat, or if not then in Housing, there's a really helpful tread full of ideas by Rabbitdan :)

Buns are meant to live outside, in cool earth burrows so I'm sure they'll be fine! (That's why my dad and OH keep telling me when I'm worrying!!)
Mine are just in a wooden summer house - it's their first winter too... I'm hoping to insulate it before the winter, at least a little bit... how much was the foil bubble wrap you used? and does it seem to work?? I thhought about using cardboard but someone said you have to be careful not to trap water next to thwe wood other wise the shed wood will rot?!

Thanks guys. The insulation I used was from B&Q and was about £15 a roll which seems a lot but it did go a long way. My playhouse is 6x4 and 5' high and I got through 3 rolls but I did do the roof with a double layer as its in full sun in the summer time. It was so easy to work with and just needed a bit of glue on the edges to secure then cut with sissors - couldn't be easier :D I was thinking of using the thicker stuff simular to lof insulation but we do have mice in the garden and if they decided to 'move in' the playhouse they would love to use it as bedding and also if it got wet there is the damp problem to deal with then too. My OH covered the whole of the inside with plywood too just to stop my bunnies nibbling anything they should'nt :D

Back