• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training help please!!!

nitza

Young Bun
So i recently adopted two new bunnies, (i had them 2 weeks on sunday :D ) and i still have loads of questions about their litter trays in particular. Firstly, the first day we brought them home we set them up with only one litter tray, in the front left corner of their run underneath their hay rack. By the next morning it was clear they had chosen the back right corner as their toilet area :lol:, so we placed another litter tray and hay rack in that corner and, although they do pee and poo there, they also pee around the litter tray, almost as if they couldnt make it in time or they slipped off the edge of the tray whilist peeing. They also tend to poo nearly everywhere....especially right next to their back litter tray after they've peed there. I have tried moving the littre tray down to cover this spot too, but then they start peeing of the other end!! I go out in the morning before i leave and sweep up any stray poos, and take away any soiled newspaper on the floor of the run, although some mornings there is no pee aywhere but the litter tray, there is always some stray poo, and by time i get home again they've peed somewhere.... :roll:
I was wondering, firstly, how long it generally takes to litter train a rabbit? and also what sorts of things i can try to do to train them quicker?
Also, as i live in Australia, we dont tend to have a large range of rabbit safe litters, but we have been buying Breeders Choice Recycled Paper Kitty litter, which works, but is not very cost effective at the moment. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to what sorts of things we could use as litter that would be more cost effective and still work properly, i had a friend whose rabbit's litter tray she filled with dirt and newspaper which he appeared to love, but i am slightly apprehensive about this as my little girl is white, and her fur would get dirty quickly. Any other suggestions????

I know this is long, and probably really confusing :oops: sorry! but any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks :)

Are they neutered?

I use a layer of newspaper covered with hay in my bunnies litter tray. Bunnies like to eat while they pee so the hay being in there encourages them to use it. Just gotta keep it clean/top up fresh hay so they can eat it happily :)

How old are they and are they neutered/spayed? :wave:

the girl is one year old, and spayed and the boy is 10 months and neutered.

I use a layer of newspaper covered with hay in my bunnies litter tray. Bunnies like to eat while they pee so the hay being in there encourages them to use it. Just gotta keep it clean/top up fresh hay so they can eat it happily
would this not start to smell, especially in summer?? even if cleaned out daily???

Sorry to interrupt, but I am also about to litter train my buns. Is there anything else I can use instead of the bunny litter trays from the pet shops?

Sorry to interrupt, but I am also about to litter train my buns. Is there anything else I can use instead of the bunny litter trays from the pet shops?

Underbed storage boxes can work beautifully (this is what I use) and also some small bunnies can do well with washing up bowls. Basically anything with sides high enough so that they don't just wee over the edge.

I would keep going with what youre doing, they should get the hang of it eventually if youre persistant with cleaning up accidents and stray poos. Maybe try a larger litter tray aswell, as SkyO has mentioned, the under bed storage boxes work quite well.

I also put hay actually in the litter tray. It encourages them to sit and poo while they eat :thumb: I use a wood based pellet litter which is brilliant for absorbing their wee. I ran out once and used just newspaper and hay but found I needed to clean it out atleast twice a day, and even then it smelt abit.

Back