• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi booster? Or not?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I just asked my vets if they do myxi jabs every 6 months rather than just annually like vhd, and the receptionist said that annually is standard unless you live in an area that is at high risk, e.g. in the countryside with lots of wild rabbits. Should I ask for the booster anyway, just to be safe? It can't do any harm can it?

I don't live near any fields, but you never know. I know there are wild bunnies with myxi where I volunteer once a week, but that's 20 minutes away. I can't see the vet refusing to give me the boosters if I ask, can you? If it won't cause any harm then I'm efectively just paying them for peace of mind!

I would imagine the majority of areas (if not all) are high risk nowadays.

If your bunnies were mine I would certainly be getting them done every 6 months (unless there was a medical reason not to for that specific bunny).

That's a receptionist talking as well, she doesn't have veterinary knowledge.

As myxi is very prevalent this season, i'd strongly recommend the 6 monthly booster.

Yes, I'd highly recommend 6 monthly.
I have heard of members on here who have had indoor rabbits who aren't in contact with the outdoors contract this :censored: virus :(

All of ours are done 6 monthly. It's really not worth the risk, and I would hope that a vet wouldn't refuse that! If they do, change vets!!

Thanks for all your advice :wave:
Thankfully Tango had his at the rescue about the same time as I took Finx for hers, so 6 months for both will be Febuary. I'm taking them both for a general check-up and to get nails cut soon, as Tango isn't registered with my vets yet, so I'll make sure they will do the boosters when they're due then! I'm confident that the vet that Finx saw when she went into stasis will do what's best for them, she was fantastic. Hopefully I can see her again!

Back