• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snezzing

Mrs Cullen

Alpha Buck
I have had a look at old posts on snezzing. but wanted a little more advice.

Edward has been snezzing since we got him. He hasn't got a snotty nose, his eyes are fine and I haven't heard him having problems breathing. He's eating, drinking and pooing. Been to the vets Twice in the last month for his jabs and told them. They have looked him over and both times have said he's fine. The only thing they could give me advice on was he may be sensitive to the hay. He also snezzes after he's been kissing me! Hope he's not allergic to me!! the hay he has is the king timmy hay about £7 from P@H. I thought it was surpose to be dust free.

So any one got any ideas:!:

Hi

My little one is exactly the same as this...I have been to the vets and they prescribed metacam 0.1ml for 5 days, they said it must be an allergy as nothing wrong with him, he also had an anti inflammatory injection whilst there.

I am still so very worried, as I hate it when he has these sneezing fits. The metacam did seem to help a bit.

I would suggest you go to a different vet for a 2nd opinion if you are really worried.

Would appreciate any more advise anyone has to give as well.

Vibes for your bunny xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've a bit of a sneezer and certainly known a few. I think allergies of all kinds are possible, dust (in my house certainly), change in tempersture-if the air's dry etc.

I've done the whole dash to the vets, courses of baytril etc . Mucus is bad of course and if there's any suggestion that the sneezing may be mucus, or breathing odd then it's off to the vets. However, over time and after alot of contact with my own bunnies I know MY bunnies enough to hold off the panic with a sneeze of so. I can't imagine any hay truly being dust free-I get Oxbow and they're dusty/seedy still-I shake the hay well away from the buns before giving it to them. I don't hoover with them in the room and open windows when i do to clear the air. I dust with damp cloths and never use any chemicals-mine are house rabbits so no air fresheners, shake n vac etc. I use fragrance free washing liquid and conditioner on their beds etc. I use megazorb as litter.

I have found a dry atmosphere has set off my buns before such as when the radiators go on and bowls of water on windowsills hopefully help a bit.

I'm not a vet and so can only suggest a good check up-with the chest listened too. You could perhaps keep a diary and see if anything especially sets off sneezing-new hay, when you've hoovered etc.

Hope he's Ok anyway-he's luucky and landed on his feet with you-you clearly really care.

I've a bit of a sneezer and certainly known a few. I think allergies of all kinds are possible, dust (in my house certainly), change in tempersture-if the air's dry etc.

I've done the whole dash to the vets, courses of baytril etc . Mucus is bad of course and if there's any suggestion that the sneezing may be mucus, or breathing odd then it's off to the vets. However, over time and after alot of contact with my own bunnies I know MY bunnies enough to hold off the panic with a sneeze of so. I can't imagine any hay truly being dust free-I get Oxbow and they're dusty/seedy still-I shake the hay well away from the buns before giving it to them. I don't hoover with them in the room and open windows when i do to clear the air. I dust with damp cloths and never use any chemicals-mine are house rabbits so no air fresheners, shake n vac etc. I use fragrance free washing liquid and conditioner on their beds etc. I use megazorb as litter.

I have found a dry atmosphere has set off my buns before such as when the radiators go on and bowls of water on windowsills hopefully help a bit.

I'm not a vet and so can only suggest a good check up-with the chest listened too. You could perhaps keep a diary and see if anything especially sets off sneezing-new hay, when you've hoovered etc.

Hope he's Ok anyway-he's luucky and landed on his feet with you-you clearly really care.

You go to town with your anti-dusting. You should meet up with my next door neighbour, she hoovers at least twice a day:lol: Which is something I need to start doing, for myself also ( had hay fever really badly this year and I'm going for a Asma check up in a few weeks) Think it's a chest infection myself but got to do what the doc thinks. So Edward and I make a great pair with our snezzing.:lol: I hope I don't get told I have a allergy to Rabbits:roll:(I had my snezzes before the bunnies, but they proberly don't help)
Thanks for the tips:wave:

Have the vets listened to the chest?

Dry sneezing can be a symptom of a lower respiratory tract infection.

True allergies are supposedly rare though I have a respitory bunny who has regular upper infections plus allergy complication so it can happen.

Do you use woodshavings? The phenols given off can cause alot of respitory type issues in animals.

You could try The Dust Free Hay Company, you wont find a less dusty hay than that.

True allergies are supposedly rare though I have a respitory bunny who has regular upper infections plus allergy complication so it can happen.

Do you use woodshavings? The phenols given off can cause alot of respitory type issues in animals.

You could try The Dust Free Hay Company, you wont find a less dusty hay than that.

No saw dust, Edward is in side. lives in his indoor hutch, with a blanket and a poo try with wood cat littler in it. which is were I put his hay. He sneezes when we have cuddles, when he's eating hay, when he's laying on the sofa. Can't find a patten at the moment, but may keep a snezze diary.

Is it true that some rabbits do just "sneeze" and have allergies like hayfever?

My vet told me my bun just gets hayfever, he sneezes in fits now and then but displays no other symptoms

I gave the living room a right good hoovering yesterday and today and I 'think' it's helping:D Normally only hoover once a week. when we notice hay in the bathroom:lol:

The times you mentioned him sneezing-eating, cuddles and on sofa-is his nose touched on each occasion? Food often brings on sneezing as it touches the nose (does the same with Basil cat), cuddles, is he snuggled against you ditto sofa. Does he sneeze whenever his nose is touched? He may have a sensitive nose. Humphrey bunny (a French lop) had very sensitive ears-if I went within a foot of him he'd go mad with his ears, when he went outside I had to keep the grass cut short to stop it touching his ears.

Whilst sneezing is most likely an indicator of infection of one sort or another, bunnies CAN have allergies. it makes sense especially for house bunnies. It's completely unnatural to be in a house if you're a bunny and all the chemicals in carpets, paint, fabrics as well as additional chemical such as air fresheners, cleaners etc is linked to increased allergies in humans so why not bunnies?

I'm sure I'm teaching granny to suck eggs but don't hoover in same room as him, nor spray deodrant, perfume etc anywhere where he may go.

Finally, when he sneezes is there any mucus or moisture? Does he wipe his nose on his paws-if so check what's on them. Maybe you should restrict him to one room at a time and get each room as clean and chemical free as possible, fabric free too and see if he's better. If you have definately ruled out infection, I'd deal with as a child with asthma and minimise risks.

PS I have asthma and with my bunnies and basil 'Persian' cat sleeping on my pillow I'm on asthma meds and antihistimines all year round and my GP the asthma nurse are NOT happy! Basil also has allergies-I think he's allergic to Rupert who's a Californian and SO fluffy. I have to wipe the carpet with damp rubber gloves on to pick up the hair. Love!

Back