• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sisters fighting

SuzyQ

New Kit
Hi Everyone :wave:, hope some one can give me a bit of advise please. ~I have 4 rabs 2 boys 6yrs old and have been done, I also have 2 little girls Luna and Skye, who are 6 month old, but yesterday they where fighting, fur flying everywhere, but don't know why, they are in a hutch together and always have been, could it be dominance, who wants to be queen Bee? I don't want to part them as they will need eachother in the winter, as I don't know whether this is a one off or what. Some advice would be very gratefully accepted:love:

I assume by their age that neither have been spayed. You've got an awkward situatin if this is the case.

If they aren't spayed, this is conducive to them 'getting their hormones'. Unfortunately, you won't have a choice other than to seperate them now, before they have a fight and end up possibly really hurting each other.

Once spayed, they'll need to come into the house for a good few days to recover, perhaps a week, but then won't be able to go back outside until spring, as the weather will be too cold after the indoor period of recovery.

Unfortunately, think you are going to need to make the best of an awkward situation :(

Definitely spaying - sooner rather than later. It will take 6wks for their hormones to die down anyway & if they have a serious fight, their relationship may be over for good

A Big Thanks

:D Both are being spayed 2morrow, hope I have got them in time as I really don't want to separate them, will keep them in as suggested until spring, then it's back outside for the sun [hopefully] they love coming indoors anyway, laying on the carpet.
Once again many thanks - I like this forum:love:
I assume by their age that neither have been spayed. You've got an awkward situatin if this is the case.

If they aren't spayed, this is conducive to them 'getting their hormones'. Unfortunately, you won't have a choice other than to seperate them now, before they have a fight and end up possibly really hurting each other.

Once spayed, they'll need to come into the house for a good few days to recover, perhaps a week, but then won't be able to go back outside until spring, as the weather will be too cold after the indoor period of recovery.

Unfortunately, think you are going to need to make the best of an awkward situation :(

I read this and thought to myself how lucky I was

I started off with 2 sisters...one got pregnant accidently...resulting in the 2 sisters plus 2 baby girls and 2 baby boys

the 2 baby boys did start squabbling, but I got them done and rebonded with each other and then with the rest of the group

I also got another 2 girls, who were determined from day 1 to be bonded with the larger group...there was some initial unpleasantness with chasing and fur pulling, but the new ones didn't fight back and eventually they became accepted into the warren...now all 8 live together in absolute harmony even though the 6 girls are unneutered...I am so lucky

I read this and thought to myself how lucky I was

I started off with 2 sisters...one got pregnant accidently...resulting in the 2 sisters plus 2 baby girls and 2 baby boys

the 2 baby boys did start squabbling, but I got them done and rebonded with each other and then with the rest of the group

I also got another 2 girls, who were determined from day 1 to be bonded with the larger group...there was some initial unpleasantness with chasing and fur pulling, but the new ones didn't fight back and eventually they became accepted into the warren...now all 8 live together in absolute harmony even though the 6 girls are unneutered...I am so lucky

That might not last forever - plus there are health benefits to spaying does - re uterine cancer risks etc:D

Back