• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to find extra large cage - please help!

:wave: I've been searching for ages in shops and in the internet, but it seems no one sells 200cm long indoor rabbit hutches. I don't understand this?

I have a space in my room for this size cage and don't want anything smaller - the space is about 200x50x60cm

I've read that dog crates are a good idea but I don't really agree as they're not fully set up for rabbits (e.g. they don't utilise the height of the cage). Also, they tend to be very tall, and I don't have the space for that.

Money's not an issue - only the best for my buns. :love:

Please give me some ideas?? :)

Generally no rabbit cages at all are suitable.

I used a 6ft dog pen for my rabbits for a while, but it wasn't big enough so I got rid of it... now my bunnies are just free range

NIC grids? I built Gertie's cage out of these. This is a pic of when it was first done:

003-1.jpg

I changed the shelves to how she used them:

049.jpg

I got my last lot from Amazon (bought more for my guinea pig's cage), who sent them from the first shop I got some from, only without the P&P so they were cheaper! About £27 for a pack (if I remember correctly) and I used three packs on Gertie's cage. My other half made the base. Gertie lives indoors, but has a secure run in the garden for the day and free range of the garden when we're home.

NIC grids? I built Gertie's cage out of these. This is a pic of when it was first done:

003-1.jpg

I changed the shelves to how she used them:

049.jpg

I got my last lot from Amazon (bought more for my guinea pig's cage), who sent them from the first shop I got some from, only without the P&P so they were cheaper! About £27 for a pack (if I remember correctly) and I used three packs on Gertie's cage. My other half made the base. Gertie lives indoors, but has a secure run in the garden for the day and free range of the garden when we're home.

Thanks! These look great. I'll have a look on Amazon! :D
:love:

Have a look on ebay too, they are often on there.

I agree that NIC cubes are the way to go if you have an awkward space. They also give you the flexibility to make the pen larger at night, since you wont be using the space and that is when they are most active. Then you can fold it back to make room during the day :) This is what my rabbits currently have. I bought 6 boxes and that was enough for a 4panel (4ft8 ) x 4 panel pen with 2 shelves and enough left over to bunny-proof thoroughly with the mesh ones. I'd reccommend having it 3 panels high as any lower and they can jump out.

Once I have cleared my room of cardboard boxes (they destroy them at night and its noisy) I'm going to try free-range again though, as they are a lot less destructive when they are free-range 24/7. I would reccommend it, particularly as they dont take up any space then. You just need a litter tray and a bowl, hay rack optional.

If you have trouble finding NIC pens you can create a similar thing with dog pen sections joined together.

Or you can make sure the rabbits use all the space in a dog crate by putting a shelf in.

Or buying a hutch and lino-ing the floor so the wood doesnt absorb wee.

Last edited:
Have a look on ebay too, they are often on there.

I agree that NIC cubes are the way to go if you have an awkward space. They also give you the flexibility to make the pen larger at night, since you wont be using the space and that is when they are most active. Then you can fold it back to make room during the day :) This is what my rabbits currently have. I bought 6 boxes and that was enough for a 4panel (4ft8 ) x 4 panel pen with 2 shelves and enough left over to bunny-proof thoroughly with the mesh ones. I'd reccommend having it 3 panels high as any lower and they can jump out.

Once I have cleared my room of cardboard boxes (they destroy them at night and its noisy) I'm going to try free-range again though, as they are a lot less destructive when they are free-range 24/7. I would reccommend it, particularly as they dont take up any space then. You just need a litter tray and a bowl, hay rack optional.

If you have trouble finding NIC pens you can create a similar thing with dog pen sections joined together.

Or you can make sure the rabbits use all the space in a dog crate by putting a shelf in.

Or buying a hutch and lino-ing the floor so the wood doesnt absorb wee.

They are so expensive! I thought it would be a cheaper option than the indoor rabbit cages! Anyway, I don't mind that.

There are a few reasons I don't have them free range - 1) the rabbits fight so it's really difficult 2) they are sooo noisy 3) I don't trust them! Plusle seeks and chews wires and can pretty much get to any surface - it's impossible to hide anything from him!

They are free most of the day to my whole room and seem happy with that (I have to do a kinda shift system so they all get time out of their cages).

Anyway! Yes, I'm trying to find cheap NIC grids.. It's difficult.

Thanks for the help :love:

The other option is to go to someone that custom builds hutches/run - they should be able to make something to fit exactly and designed to your spec. It's generally a bit cheaper for indoors too as you don't need quite the same level of weather/predator proofing.

Back