• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dosing times

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
We had an emergency vet trip last night as Frankie injured herself doing a bunny 3000 round the living room, well, I think that is what it was, she was fine one minute, hunching in pain the next with no obvious injured part.

She had metacam at about 12.45 :shock: and the vet gave me some to bring home for today. I swear he said the one he injected will last 24 hours, but the label on the box said it was a dose for the evening. Do I have to wait until 12.45 tonight? or can it be given a little earlier?

She is eating/pooping/grooming ok, and moving round, she's been quiet all day, but always is anyway. Normally at this time she turns manic, and she is still fairly quiet, so I know she is still not right. I've not let her out today so she rests/doesn't aggravate anything. She'll be back in the vets in the morning, think we'll be heading for x rays :?

Giving the dose a couple of hours early should not be a problem. But really as Metacam is a POM you should check with the Vet who prescribed it

I hope that Frankie recovers well :)

If it was my bun I would check with the vet and see if it was ok to move the dose forward an hour each day till it was at a time that I was happy with.

Thank you both. Think I'll sit up and wait tonight for the time tonight, and then ask my normal vet tomorrow. Last nights vet was from medivet, and not even from the practice I had to go to, although I suppose they would know how to contact him if needed.

She is perkier this evening, bouncing over to be let out, but she's not doing her normal boxing when you put your hand in to stroke/feed her at this time of night so that's a bit worrying. I've been reading horror stories of injuries aswell, which hasn't helped my stress level for tomorrows vet trip. Just hope it's nothing hidden and well.... doesn't bear thinking about :?

I hope everything goes fine at the vets today. Please try not to worry too much. Most of injuries people write about are the ones which are tricky to heal, what you don't read about are the many, many more which are fine.

:wave: huge improvement in Frankie today, really starting to get her personality back now. I got her out for before the vet trip in order to monitor her movement/behaviour and be able to trick her into the carrier! (Even the sound of it sends her on the defensive!) and she was running round really well, even had one big binky. There was no hiding in the corners of the room hunched in pain, whereas the other night she'd run off and sit hunched immediately. She never does this, normally she flops in the middle of the room, centre of attention ;) so we knew she was hurt. I rung the vet and they were ok with me swapping the appointment for Cookie instead as her booster was due.

Frankie now has an appointment for Thursday morning, so my plan is no more metacam, observe how she is without it tomorrow, and when she is in for her booster Thursday ask for a thorough checkup. I really am thinking now that whatever she hurt was muscular rather than bone, which was my huge fear.

Really considering insuring her now, she's always been a mischief, the only speed she knows how to run is superfast, so wouldn't put it past her doing something again!

Back