• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Electrolyte options?

nicolasks

New Kit
Hi, I'm preparing my first aid kit to foster bunnies in the spring, and I'm wondering about oral electrolyte formulas in case of dehydration.

I've used Pedialyte in the past, but I find it rather wasteful because I can only find the unflavoured variety in the large bottles, and considering it must be used within 48 hours of being opened most of it is poured down the drain.

I've found recipes online for home-made electrolyte formulas, but I don't know how safe these are.

Opinions? Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: I have cared for buns before (although I'm between buns at the moment). With first aid, I'm not trying to replace rabbit-savvy vet care -- this is just for non-emergency after-hours illness, to keep the bunny comfortable and safe until the vet opens in the morning.

If you're asking about Pedialyte, do I presume correctly that you're from the US?

I believe that in the UK Dioralyte is the safe one to use and that comes in individual sachets- which have to be used within 24 hours so is probably less wasteful.

Maybe a better option might be to get your vet to teach you to do Sub cutaneous fluids (if you don't already know) to help with the hydration aspect. Not sure how that impacts on lost electrolytes though. That could be something else to discuss with your vet prior to needing to know.

Yeah, I am in North America. I wonder if I can get Dioralyte shipped, because I like the idea of individual sachets -- I'll look into that.

I am definitely going to speak with the vet about this too. I just like to hear what other bunny people out there have to say first -- that way, I can bring something to the vet beyond just what he and I know. (Because even a rabbit-savvy vet doesn't know it all.)

I'm also planning on asking my vet to teach me subQs, but I haven't had much success with this in the past -- getting vets to trust me and work with me on that level, I mean. I am switching vets, though (right now I'm between bunnies -- this is all in preparation of future bunnies), and my future vet has a great reputation, so I'm optimistic. Even if I can get the vet to teach me subQs, though, I don't expect he'll want to give me the supplies ahead of time -- from what I've heard from other people, it's more like once the rabbit is seen by the vet and diagnosed, then the vet will sell you the subQ pack. But I definitely want something on hand in case the rabbit falls ill when the vet's is closed. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but it's for good reason: without exaggeration, every time my late rabbit fell ill, it was at the beginning of a long weekend. We do have an after-hours emergency here but not only is it very expensive, it's also not especially rabbit-savvy, and ... well ... without going into details: it's a nasty place that I never want to visit again, if I can help it.

I think you're doing an awesome job of being prepared :) Far too many owners don't consider things like that.

I think it depends on the vet and the relationship you have with them as to what they are happy for you to have. I have fluids and needles here and am always stocked up with them 'just in case'. I'm very lucky my vet trusts me enough to trust me to administer them (but the very first times we were it was with a bunny with kidney failure so, sadly, I got a lot of practice). Hopefully, if you can establish a good working relationship with yours, then it will pay off :)

Back