• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grieving rabbit, what to do?

katyh9

New Kit
Hi there, I am new to this forum and am desperatly in need of some advice. My beloved bunny Smudge was unfortunatly put to sleep this morning as he contracted myxi (despite his previous owners telling us he was vacinated), his mate Demi is now left on her own, and I dont know what to do. She isn't realy a people rabbit, but seemed very close to smudge, despite them only being together for a couple of months. Do I get a new rabbit as company for her, and if so how long should I wait?
Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks

Hi Katy,

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

Ideally a bunny needs a friend, but the priority right now is to quarantine her to ensure that she is healthy. I would suggest getting her up to date with her vaccinations (for sure), and defleaing her, and then after a minimum of 14 days then reassess what to do. If she is healthy then it might be worthwhile starting to look for a friend for her and letting her choose her own friend (also she will need to be spayed before bonding, so if you have been told she is spayed and you are not sure, or you know she isn't spayed, that would be a priority after the 14 days are up).

When she is vaccinated, spayed and healthy then maybe it would be worthwhile approaching a rescue to get their help finding the right friend for her :)

ETA- the reason I say 14 days is because incubation for myxo is 10-14 days and you need to be sure she is clear from it before doing anything that may risk another rabbit or her.

Last edited:
Hi

I've just had the same situation but different circumstances (Tilly passed away from a bladder tumour :cry:). Todd was bereft and we have since got him another bun for company.

However, has your other bun been vaccinated for Myxi and have you flea treated her yet ?

When my previous rabbit died her mate, MJ, was very sad and I only waited about a week before taking him to a rescue to be bonded again. I think if he wasn't ready it wouldn't have worked but he bonded straight away with the second rabbit we tried and they are still happy together.

Thanks for all of the advice! Demi had been vacinated, thankfully so she is safe, although very confussed and moping a bit (I even managed a cuddle with her without being scratched to shreads!). Hopefully she will bond with another rabbit, I hate seeing her like this. I think we are going to go to the RSPCA at the weekend, see if we can find her a new friend.

It's good she has been vaccinated :) A huge relief for you. She can still catch myxo so she still needs her 14 days quarantine to insure she isn't incubating it and she still needs to be deflea-ed prior to meeting another bunny.

Good luck at the RSPCA :)

So sorry to hear about Smudge.

Some people put in a cuddly toy (make sure it is safe) to keep their bunnies company if they have just lost a partner. Good luck at the RSPCA.

Really sad to hear such sad news.

Your company will mean alot too. Even if you weren't all that close before, rabbits are such social creatures they'll crave love and company. It's very confusing for her-did she see the body? Sorry that's a hard thing to ask.

Just reassure Demi, sit in the same room on the floor or near her when you can and you will provide comfort. It's hard to know who the 'tough' one in a bunny pair is sometimes so 'normal' noises may be scary without her partner to reassure her.

In my experience a bunny who's been bonded takes to a new bunny friend very well. Give it a bit of time to ensure she's not at all infected as the myxi vaccination isn't a 100% guarantee-do you do 6 0r 12 monthly? best to do 6 monthly if myxi is in your area.

In the meantime look at the resues on this site, get in touch with one locally and let them know the circumstances. Many will help you with the bonding.

This is a sad time but one day soon Demi will be happy again and you too.

I am so sorry to hear about Smudge. RIP little one.

I have a bunny called Estelle who is now on her fourth husbun!!!!

She has had two bereavements, one mis-match and now has found love again.

Hopefully Demi will find love again. xx

Have a look on Rabbit re-home website as there are loads of gorgeous bunnies on there needing new forever homes. Many rescues re-home nationwide and also do the bonding for you.:thumb::thumb:

Back