• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

belgian hares....

There aren't any domestic hares (ie pets)

Belgian Hares are reddish brown but they are not really hares, just rabbits bred to look like hares :)

Wild hares will be mostly brown like rabbits, but the Arctic Hares are white for obvious reasons :)

There aren't any domestic hares (ie pets)

Belgian Hares are reddish brown but they are not really hares, just rabbits bred to look like hares :)

Wild hares will be mostly brown like rabbits, but the Arctic Hares are white for obvious reasons :)

sorry i meant belgian hares :oops:

i know you can get rufus red, black, black and tan.... but now ive seen white?? and wondered if this was a true belgian hare :wave:

Red agouti is the main colour, then black and tan and very recently the self black was introduced. I've only heard of one albino hare in this country but I believe there are a few abroad, I've also seen smaller versions of the belgian hare in different colours (Probably hare cross polish) abroad

Red agouti is the main colour, then black and tan and very recently the self black was introduced. I've only heard of one albino hare in this country but I believe there are a few abroad, I've also seen smaller versions of the belgian hare in different colours (Probably hare cross polish) abroad

:wave: thanks for the reply. just saw an ad for someone selling them and was wondering if it was a 'scam' :? both parents are rufus red.

(and no im not getting another bun, im just a sucker for preloved and get myself in a tizzy over all the buns on there :oops:)

:wave: thanks for the reply. just saw an ad for someone selling them and was wondering if it was a 'scam' :? both parents are rufus red.

(and no im not getting another bun, im just a sucker for preloved and get myself in a tizzy over all the buns on there :oops:)

Two reds producing an albino? That does sound odd to me, it's incredibly rare to get an albino hare in this country, I can't imagine two hares would carry the gene unless they were quite closely related, could you pm me the link?

Two reds producing an albino? That does sound odd to me, it's incredibly rare to get an albino hare in this country, I can't imagine two hares would carry the gene unless they were quite closely related, could you pm me the link?

will do, one sec..... x

will do, one sec..... x

Thanks for the link

The rabbits in the pic I'm pretty certain are hares, and they're from Essex which is where this albino hare I've heard of was from. I'm suprised they're being advertised on preloved I'd of thought there would be some breeder interest

You can get albino hares.

The bunny island stud in sussex has an albinio baby at the moment.
http://bunnyisland.co.uk/inthenest.aspx

Oh wow looks like they're becoming more popular, I wonder if there are any plans to get them standardised. Belgian Hares are beautiful, not everyones keen but they look so elegant to me. I once saw a cross of a fauve (a very ginger rabbit, like a thrianta) and a hare, it was hare shaped but fully ginger it was gorgeous :love:

Oh wow looks like they're becoming more popular, I wonder if there are any plans to get them standardised. Belgian Hares are beautiful, not everyones keen but they look so elegant to me. I once saw a cross of a fauve (a very ginger rabbit, like a thrianta) and a hare, it was hare shaped but fully ginger it was gorgeous :love:

I wanted a Belgian hare but there are no breeders in the south. We were going to turn our chicken aviary into the rabbits aviary and i inquired to bunny island about possibly adding a Belgian to my two. She was very helpful. It turns out her BF lives in andover which is not far from me so she said he could bring it down for me. But we decided against getting a belgian as we arnt giving the rabbits the avairy anymore and i dont think it would be fair to keep a 3 rabbits in the hutch setup ive got. :wave: Her website is really nice, i love looking at the pics!

I wanted a Belgian hare but there are no breeders in the south. We were going to turn our chicken aviary into the rabbits aviary and i inquired to bunny island about possibly adding a Belgian to my two. She was very helpful. It turns out her BF lives in andover which is not far from me so she said he could bring it down for me. But we decided against getting a belgian as we arnt giving the rabbits the avairy anymore and i dont think it would be fair to keep a 3 rabbits in the hutch setup ive got. :wave: Her website is really nice, i love looking at the pics!

Where abouts 'in the south', I know quite a lot of hare breeders and I've heard of a lot 'down south', then again living in yorkshire, pretty much everywhere beneath me is down south :lol: There are a few in London and Essex? One is a forum member and she has reds, tans and blacks.

In the far future I'd love a rhinelander and tan hare pair :love:

Where abouts 'in the south', I know quite a lot of hare breeders and I've heard of a lot 'down south', then again living in yorkshire, pretty much everywhere beneath me is down south :lol: There are a few in London and Essex? One is a forum member and she has reds, tans and blacks.

In the far future I'd love a rhinelander and tan hare pair :love:

Hampshire.

I would love a belgian hare. One of my favourite breeds even though ive never seen one in real life. :love:

I have a belguim hare here who I rescued from somone who used to be on here he lives with his wife Madel his name is redge
038-1.jpg

he is a gentleman she is more festy than him....Only bad thing he does is nip her if shes getting attention not him

i really want a belgian hare one day, but we'll see. you never know what buns rescues will have, and i have no restraint and will fall in love with the first bun i see no doubt :oops:

many years later i hope, my bubsters are still fairly young :)

Back