• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex and cross bred rex bunnies.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Are these bunnies in particular, liable to suffer from certain health problems?

Don't panic everyone.

Just thinking about certain rex bunnies that I have known.

Sore hocks (for those with rex fur), and I believe Jane says heart problems (so I would imagine that extends to bunnies related if it's a genetic issue although I don't know if it's caused by the same recessive gene that causes the fur).

I suppose it might depend on what the cross was with. :? Maybe Jack Jane, the RU Rex expert will know the answer to this one. ;)

Would the heart problems be caused by them being such a delicate breed or by being bred to be delicate?

Hope this makes sense.:roll:

IME they have a predisposition to ulcerative pododermatitis (sore hocks),often due to poor breeding as not EVERY Rex will develop sore hocks.

Heart Disease ,due to breeding to achieve a particular body shape and fur standard

Poor eyesight, particularly the Orange Rex. Again usually because of intensive line breeding to achieve the 'perfect' fur type/colour

Rex x Lops- Ear problems, but that can be said about any Lop.

Rexes are usually especially greedy and as a result may suffer from GI tract problems and obesity unless their diet is strictly monitored.

Back