• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

insurance?

aalur

Warren Scout
Just wondering how many of you have insurance for your buns?
I have had Roo insured since i got her with petplan, today i added on Oscar and Hare and all together its costing me £43 a month :shock:
I dont have it for my guineas as its really not worth it as with 9 it would cost £1000 for the year.

Is it worthwhile for buns in your opinion?

If you can't afford to spend £2k per year on vet treatment then yes insurance is definately a good idea.

Either PetPlan or the P@H FOR LIFE policy are good policies with slightly different limits.

Most of the other ones are only yearly policies and not worth it.

I've just insured mine with the P@H 'Life' policy. It's only about £7 per month and I think it's worth it - not had to make a claim yet though :?:?

P@H for life policy is slightly cheaper but has a lower claim limit, plus some different exclusions. PetPlan provide the best coverage so you should really read all the terms and conditions to compare the two and see if it is worth switching. Remember any illnesses they have had before you switch would then be excluded on the new policy.

very worth it... I have claimed far more than i've spent on insurance with my buns.

my cat was insured for 6 years without a problem then when he got poorly it actually cost the same as the 6 years of premiums so all his life maybe from time to time I felt it wasn't worth it but when faced with a dead cat and a £600 vets bill it was worth every penny :D

Lil was on a 6 weeks free trial for petplan insurance,the day after it ran out she suffered headtilt and EC.
And then when she recovered from that she had to have half of her nose removed and the other half sewn back on. Thousands of pounds later (and skinter) I wish I had phoned up and gave my bank details to continue with it.
Hence Ron is insured!

I insured the 4 I had at the time 3 years ago and cancelled as it would be nearly £400 per year for the 4 of them.

Artie then went on to develop bladder sludge problems and needed surgery and ongoing treatment. Esme I did get insured before her first stasis episode and I've claimed about 3 - 4 times so I've claimed more than I've paid. Tink and Roo I've had insured for 2 years and never claimed.

I've gone on to get 4 more bunnies, all insured and I've claimed on all of them. with ALL four I've claimed more than I've paid in premiums.

Since April 2008 Artie has had bladder surgery (£336), treatment for bladder sludge apx £20 every six weeks and £10 per month for medicine, various stasis episode (about £600 in total) numerous x-rays £45 each. 3 months ago he went on to get kidney stones. The first surgery and nursing care cost £833 (kidney stone removed). Less than a month later kidney removal - £600 ish ... I can't be bothered (and too scared!) to add it up but apx £3K.... By some stroke of luck I did insure him with Pets @ Home just before his kidney stone episode so I got £1K back on insurance ... I could have had it all back though if I'd not cancelled the insurance 3 years ago.

I will now never have a rabbit and not insure them, I won't take that risk. If I hadn't claimed on so many of my Pet Plan insruance policies though I'd probably be insuring with Pets at Home as much cheaper and I'd be happy with £1.5K cover per year.

I don't insure mine as I figure with 9 of them it would cost me far more in insurance than it does in vets bills. So far, in 7 years of having had my current buns (and having a decent rabbit vet who will actually treat them rather than just giving up on them) I've only had 1 who has had anything more than routine treatment. Her worst vets bill was about £500 for pneumonia treatment, then she's had a couple of other things for about £100 each. I'd have paid way more than that in insurance for all of them - I reckon about £1000 a year.

That said, it's the luck of the draw. I've had 3 dogs, all uninsured, and all of them have ended up with long term conditions costing me a fortune. I'd have been better off with them being insured, but after the first (and then the second) I figured I couldn't be unlucky enough to have another one needing long term expensive medication. I think they must get a drugs catalogue on order, find the most expensive stuff they can and then develop the symptoms to fit!

Yes I have my 2 insured, I think its around £18 a month for both of them.

I havent claimed yet, but I will do soon when I get round to it. Bear in mind you do have a £50 excess and you also in most cases have to pay the vet bills before they are approved for claiming, I think you can get stuff preapproved with a quote from the vet but with rabbits there normally isnt the time for all that! So make sure you have an overdraft or a credit card for emergencies, till you can claim it back. Also bear in mind standard dentals are not covered, so budget for them, Barney's teeth have cost me around £300 since April.

At the moment Barney hardly costs me anything with his snuffles, around £100 in the year I have had him, but I know as soon as I move house next summer, and my consultation charges are no longer only £6, the amount he costs me will rocket and the insurance will be worth it.

Annabelle is insured but hasnt been ill at all, but I know that if she is in the future then she will be covered.

Rosie and Ted are both insured with Petplan, costs about £23 a month for both. We've claimed back nearly as much as we've paid out for Ted (various stasis episodes but touch wood he's been fine since New Year's Day.) We haven't claimed for Rosie as we've not had any problems, but it's worth it for the peace of mind to me.

when i come over with my doggie im going to get him insured, with petplan i think, my sis has her buns insured with petplan, and as she said
its a good job after mabel has been soo poorly this last week, it can get very costly, and insurance can be a great help at these times :thumb:

cas

All four of our little ones are insured with petplan, aprox £7.40 per month each. Ive have never had any complaints, and would always insure my buns with them.

we have a saving account as we have 2 cats, 8 piggies and 2 buns...insurance would be ridiculous:lol:
we save as much as poss and it goes to whoever is ill..

Back