• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

travelling bunnies.

BorisnHannibal

Young Bun
Some advice please. For Christmas me and my partner are off to Scotland. Only 2 days but otherwise he won't get to see his family at all. We live in Sheffield. I really wanted to spend the day with the bunnies. Do rabbits travel well in cars (all we've ever done is the 10 mins to the vets and back) and does anyone have any advice for doing it. There is always the option on maybe boarding them, but they'd end uo away from us for 4 days due to check in times.

they don't like it so much as tolerate it ok. we used to travel from Birmingham to Scotland for a week with ste's family and Alvin seemed to take to it well.

pack them last and unpack them first, take all their stuff so the new place smells like home. pack some veg so you can get them to eat when you stop, i found my pair need to stop for at least half an hour before they will touch food, i also used to take tap water too because i read that the change in water can cause upset tummies.

Alvin is a stasis prone bun and travel never set off an episode so it cant be too bad :D. when we moved to Scotland it was Hollys first trip and i was so worried, for the first hour she just panted then after about 2 hours she was used to the journey and relaxed enough to eat, when we got here it was like nothing had happened.

my only worry with your trip is its only for two days, if it was a few days longer i think the buns would tolerate it better with the chance to relax in between but in saying that people take bunnies away for weekend trips with no ill effects.

have a great trip :wave:

My advice is to get them used to it before the day

Firstly, get them used to their carriers, sit them in there with some food as a distraction. Once they're used to sitting in the carrier you can put them in the car for very short journeys, and gradually increase the time, they should learn car journeys are nothing to be afraid of

Extra things you can do are cover the carrier, the first time mine went to London I put black paper over the carriers, just selotaped it at the top so air could still come in through the bottom and sides of the paper, rabbits tend to settle easier when it's dark and they can't see the outside wizzing past. It's best not to have music on in the car but if you or whoever you're with insist then look through your car manual and try adjust the speakers so they only play through the front

Back