• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cloudy spot on eye

We are just getting started with rabbits, My sons Lion Head doe is not even a year old and has a cloudy spot on her one eye. Can it be cateracts already & is there anything besides surgery to help it? I would post a pic, but I am not sure how to do it on this site.
Thanks

Hi! You could upload the image to an image host such as Tinypic.com or imageshack.us, and then copy the url and post it here on this thread :wave: It might be hard to tell without seeing a picture of the eye.

Not sure if this is right.

CookieeyeNov15.jpg

Last edited:
This one seems to be a little clearer. I started putting some Colloidal silver on it just incase it is an infection.
Cookieeyesmall.jpg

I really would not advise putting anything into the eye until he has been examined by a Vet

It does look to be related to EC and definitely requires treatment. If you read the link I posted before you will see why.

i would agree with Jacks Jane - do not put anything in it unless advised by a vet - and have it checked for poss EC

Ok so now I am even more confused. If this is what is may be should keep Cookie quarentined away from the other rabbits? We just got her yesterday, and I thought I had checked her out before taking her, but missed this obvious issue. Should I try to return her to the seller? We intended to use her for breeding with our LH buck, but if this is something that will always have a chance to pass on to the kits is it worth dealing with? Agian we are just learning about rabbits etc.
Thanks so much for all you help

Ok so now I am even more confused. If this is what is may be should keep Cookie quarentined away from the other rabbits? We just got her yesterday, and I thought I had checked her out before taking her, but missed this obvious issue. Should I try to return her to the seller? We intended to use her for breeding with our LH buck, but if this is something that will always have a chance to pass on to the kits is it worth dealing with? Agian we are just learning about rabbits etc.
Thanks so much for all you help

Firstly PLEASE research BEFORE even thinking about breeding. It is not just a case of putting a Buck with a Doe.

Do you know the full genetic background going back at least 2 generations of both the Buck and Doe ?

Do you understand the responsibility of bringing more Rabbits into the world when there are already 33,000 unwanted Rabbits in Rescues all over the UK ?

Can you afford to vaccinate ALL your Rabbits against both Myxomatosis (vaccination needed every 6 months) and VHD (vaccination needed every 12 months) ?

Will you be able to home check for every Rabbit you rehome/sell and will you promise to take them back should the person you rehome them to not be able to keep them for any reason and at any time ?

If you were unable to rehome/sell any of the Rabbits you breed would you be able to keep them and accommodate them appropriately- minimum hutch size recommendation for 2 medium sized Rabbits is 6ft x 2ft x2ft with a LARGE and SECURE run PERMANENTLY attached ?

You say that the Rabbits are your son's. If he is a young child then are you prepared to retain overall responsibility for the day-to-day care of ALL the Rabbits, including feeding, cleaning, grooming, health checks etc ?? Children often lose interest, a very common reason for Rabbits being handed into already full to bursting Rescues.

Back to your Buck. Well, personally I would be more concerned about taking the Rabbit to a Vet than getting my money back from the Breeder. I cannot say for certain that the Buck has an EC induced cataract, but it is a possibility. He should definitely NOT be used as a stud Buck until the exact cause of the problem is established.

Over 50% of Rabbits will have been exposed to EC and have a positive titre test indicating this exposure. Not all Rabbits exposed to the parasite become ill, some do.

Here is another link in a less 'medical' format

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

I apologise if this post reads as curt, but I am personally 100% against breeding Rabbits having seen first hand the exact situation re all the thousands of unwanted ones in Rescues. If you remain determined to persue breeding then I would advise you to find an established and respected Breeder with a proven track record re his/her practices to mentor you. Please, please do not start breeding if you have no idea what you are doing. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem as far as Rabbit Welfare is concerned.

Please take the time to watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqpHe9_kZL0

and read these links

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/breeding.html

Finally, you can find a lot more advice and information re Rabbit Welfare here:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/index.php

Last edited:
I am asking for advice, not a lecture. The rabbits we got are 4-H projects, & yes I am very well awared of the ins & outs of haphazard breeding any animal. I raise & sell dairy goats myself.

This is a doe by the way, and my son spent his hard earned money on her so that he could get 1-2 litters from her each year. If she is does infact have an issue that makes her unbreedable, then I tend to want to go back to the source.

I have no problem going to the vet, but wanted some advise before my son had to go that route. He is learning the ins & outs of caring & raising his rabbits and works hard to earn the money to care for them properly.

On that note yes we will confirm what it is with the vet, in the mean time can anyone answer my question as to wether I need to keep her quarentined or not until our appt with the vet at the end of the week?

I am asking for advice, not a lecture. The rabbits we got are 4-H projects, & yes I am very well awared of the ins & outs of haphazard breeding any animal. I raise & sell dairy goats myself.

This is a doe by the way, and my son spent his hard earned money on her so that he could get 1-2 litters from her each year. If she is does infact have an issue that makes her unbreedable, then I tend to want to go back to the source.

I have no problem going to the vet, but wanted some advise before my son had to go that route. He is learning the ins & outs of caring & raising his rabbits and works hard to earn the money to care for them properly.

On that note yes we will confirm what it is with the vet, in the mean time can anyone answer my question as to wether I need to keep her quarentined or not until our appt with the vet at the end of the week?

Yes

It is good practice to keep every new addition to your household quarantined for a period of at least 4 weeks before removing them from quarantine :)

I hope you will take the time to read over Jacks Janes post and the links she has given you.
If you are going to bring animals into the world, it is your responsibility to be fully informed.

Back