• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts on a plan for introducing two new, possibly troublesome, rabbits

Hello,

I was hoping someone/everyone might be able to offer their thoughts on a the plan i have devised for introducing two rabbits. One, Katie, is a 1, 1/2 yr old spayed female, the other, Franny, is a 1 yr old female who is about to be neutered. Katie was attacked when she was 6 months old by her sisters - and so was re-homed as a solo rabbit with me. Since being neutered, she is a lot calmer, and I really feel it's time she had a rabbit-partner. Franny has lived on her own (I will be rehoming her tomorrow, subject to a vet check-up ((they were a bit worried about some red in her urine)) until now, and seems to be partially sighted. So, two slightly tricky buns, maybe?!

I am prepared for this introduction to take a few months. I plan to take it slowly - and to keep Franny separate until a few weeks after she is neutered, in a room that Katie won't be allowed to go in to (she usually has free-range of the house when we're in, and the very enclosed garden when we're out). Probably 3 weeks (do you think this is the right amount of time?) after Franny's operation, I will put them both overnight in cages close to each other (a couple of inches apart), in an outhouse which is neutral space, and specially prepared for them. After this, I was thinking we'd sit with them both on our laps, stroking them, next to each other. Maybe after a couple of times doing this, we could introduce them - again, in a neutral space. Then we would see what it looks like - and not let them fight - and let them 'date' as frequently or infrequently as seems right...

Do you think this sounds ok? It would be really great to get your feedback!!

Thanks!

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

Welcome to RU :)

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but also that you're doing your best for your bunnies, which is awesome.

I would leave bonding until at least 6 weeks after her spay to ensure she is thoroughly healed inside and also that her hormones have died down which gives the most chance of success.

I think some adjustments are probably needed to your plan and probably the key thing would be to use this time to research bonding (there's loads of threads on here about it and also an article on my website- link in my sig- which might be worth a read) and then when you get more knowledge about the bonding process you will be able to follow the rabbits and what their needs are. It's often only clear once you put them together if they need to date or if they need to just be put together and kept together. The more you know and research, the better the judgement you'll be able to make about what you see when they do go together :)

Hi,

Thanks very much. I have been trying to read up on it, but will certainly do more so over the next few weeks. Do you think it would be ok to put them in cages next to each other at the three-week post-op mark, or wait til the six weeks even for that?

I will take a look at your page right now, thanks!!

Georgie

Great, thank you so much for your advice :)

I just read your article - it was very helpful!!

I'm really excited. I will keep you updated :)

Georgie

You're very welcome :)

I have a blind bunny who was difficult to bond but it was so worth it because she is so happy with her husbunny, and he with her. i really hope it works for your two :)

Back