• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd black things growing out of the grass / photo added post 15

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone come across this. :? Spenser is very rarely in his run now as the grass is almost permanently wet, but I did put him out for a bit today. Naturally he showed an interest in the grass, but I am very wary as there seem to be odd little black things (not mushrooms) growing there.

Does anyone know what they might be, and if they would be harmful to Spenser if he ate them?

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. I will try to get pics tomorrow. It doesn't look like lawn disease - more like a separate leaf (very straight and narrow) growing out of the grass.

I'll be moving Spenser's run onto the slabs pretty soon anyway, but I was also thiking of giving him free-range time now and again as he really isn't getting enough exercise. :(

Could it be a dead leaf which has been used by a worm to plug its burrow?
My lawn worms like the black half rotten leaves perhaps cos they're more bendy. They pull them into the hole by the stalk, so they stand upright on the surface.

My lawn worms like the black half rotten leaves perhaps cos they're more bendy. They pull them into the hole by the stalk, so they stand upright on the surface.

'my' worms do this , its fascinating:lol:
Tho I suspect what Susie bun is seeing may be fungi, but doubt bunny would eat it.

I did not know worms did this!!! I have googled and can't find a picture, could you take a picture of the leaf plug please?! :D

I'm curious to know if youu've found out what it is yet, or have a photo?

No, but it has been so wet here Spenser has hardly been out. I have noticed the odd mushroomy thing on the grass. I will try to get some photos as it would certainly be good to know whether or not they are potentially harmful.

When mushrooms get hit by frost they shrivel up and go black so it could be that. We got a load of mushrooms that appeared round a tree stump and one night of frost and all that's left now is a faint black goo on the soil.

No, but it has been so wet here Spenser has hardly been out. I have noticed the odd mushroomy thing on the grass. I will try to get some photos as it would certainly be good to know whether or not they are potentially harmful.

I'm looking forward to that. I'm intrigued by it, & bet I don't know the answer!!

iiisecondcreep - I was a bit misleading in my original post. Apparently earthworms will drag any rotting vegetation into their burrows to eat it. I guess the rotten apple & other tree leaves are a bit too big & stiff & get stuck sticking up 1/2 out on the surface. They haven't been active for the last couple of days because of the sharp frost. I'll do my best for you but can't promise. :oops:
I'm not too good at identifying fungi either. :oops:

Why can't Spenser go out on the wet lawn? :? :wave: Does he have sore hocks or something?

He just doesn't seem to like. Lies down or fur puddles and looks miserable.

Here (at last :oops:) is a picture of the black things we have on the grass. There are loads of them.

PA250522.jpg

:wave:Thanks so much for pm-ing me about the photo.
I honestly haven't a clue! :lol: & furthermore I'm stuck about how to look it up! :lol:
I'm appealing to the brains of RU here!

He just doesn't seem to like. Lies down or fur puddles and looks miserable.

Here (at last :oops:) is a picture of the black things we have on the grass. There are loads of them.

PA250522.jpg

Oh I see! Silly bunny :roll::love:

I will see if I can email the page link to my dad as he might know! :wave:

The picture is not quite clear enough to be sure, but it looks to me like a form of fungus. There is a type of parasitic fungus called ergot which infects grain plants, including the grasses they were developed them. Ergot is chemically very similar to LSD and can cause severe neurological and gastrointestinal problems and gangrene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism
http://tinyurl.com/5uvm2to

I would keep the bunnies off this until you've had chance to identify it properly and, if appropriate, deal with it.

ETA from the wikipedia article; "Mankind has known about Claviceps purpurea for a long time, and its appearance has been linked to extremely cold winters that were followed by rainy summers".

Last edited:
Thanks for replies everyone. :wave:

Spenser has only been on the grass once since I noticed the black things, and not for very long. He certainly won't be going on it now! :shock: I'll buy in some readigrass for him, and he can continue having the conservatory as his playzone in the meantime.

Back