• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma over neuturing/bonding!!!

I have a neutured male mini lop 10 months (Charlie) and a female nearly 12 months that hasn't been spayed (she's a bigger bun, not sure of breed - Honey) My dilemma is that the last bunny I took to the vet to be neutured died during the procedure and I'm sooo worried about taking Honey to be done!! Has anyone actually bonded a neutured male with unspayed female? I know I'm probably being over cautious but I'm terrified of having another phone call off the vet to say my bun has died!! I will probably get her done- eventually!!!! Charlie was neutured by the same vet and was fine-no problems. My vet is brill so I do think it was an underlying problem with Cosmo, however I'm being a bit of a scaredy cat. Should I try and bond without her being done - or is it a big NO NO??? Any advice would be great - thanks!!

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. Often, when a bunny dies under GA it is down to an unknown weakness, as you identified. I can definitely understand the fear, in fact, terror, of facing it again. Sometimes some perspective can be useful.

You know that you need to have her done at some point, for her sake, and the later you leave it, the more risky it actually is because she will be older. Often the younger bunnies process the GA faster and recover faster.

To look at it from her point of view, she would go in to be spayed, she would either die peacefully (which would be highly unlikely) or she would come home. Either way, she wouldn't suffer. If she dies, then you suffer, but not her on an emotional or suffering level.

If you don't get her spayed due to your fear (i.e. putting your fear first), then she may develop uterine cancer, she may be unable to bond. How would you feel if your fear led to her suffering?

All that said, you have to make the choices you feel are best for her.

Personally, unless there was a good reason to have a rabbit not spayed, then I would only bond spayed rabbits because it's safer, more reliable, fairer, more chance of long term success, etc. It could work, but it may not. It's not something I would do unless the rabbit was not able to be spayed for some reason.

:wave:

I've bonded two separate times, both neutered males with intact girls, [then bonded all four together]

They are fine, but it does depend on each bunny, my girls are very laid back bunnies :thumb:

Last edited:
I wouldnt bond without spaying first, as if it does go wrong, which is MUCH more likely, the bunnies will remember and may still not bond after she is spayed. You have a much better chance if you spay her first, then wait for her to heal and her hormones to settle (at least 6 weeks) before introducing them.

I would get her spayed asap anyway, as 80% of unspayed females will get uterine cancer before they are 4. The chance of them surving this is for them to be spayed, and then in a lot of cases the cancer has spread and they die anyway :( Any operation is also a lot less risky if the animal is a young adult, so waiting actually increases the risk.

If you have a good rabbit vet, then the operation is so low risk. But that is the thing, a good vet and a good rabbit vet are two different things. Rabbits are classed as exotics and so normal vets dont learn any more than the basics about them. Having the operation done by a rabbit savvy or exotic vet will make it virtually risk free, as long as she is healthy.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I understand your fear, as one of my childhood rabbits Simpson, the only one we got neutered, died during the operation. When I came on here I was sure neutering my rabbit Barney would be too dangerous, but after some great advice on here I took the plunge and he was fine. He is much happier now, he is no longer hormonal and has a lovely spayed wife :)

Last edited:
Thanks Sky-O,Lops and Nessar!! I do want to get her done, but I'm so scared. The guilt I had when Cosmo died was awful. I felt I'd sent him to his grave!!! I'm going to have to do it soon, cos like you said she is getting older and it wont be fair on her. My vet is great and did Charlie with no probs, it is totally my problem I'm going to have to face my fear!! Thanks for your replies. :wave::wave:

Thanks Sky-O,Lops and Nessar!! I do want to get her done, but I'm so scared. The guilt I had when Cosmo died was awful. I felt I'd sent him to his grave!!! I'm going to have to do it soon, cos like you said she is getting older and it wont be fair on her. My vet is great and did Charlie with no probs, it is totally my problem I'm going to have to face my fear!! Thanks for your replies. :wave::wave:

I know if I was in your situation I too would feel guilty, but, that doesn't mean it is deserved guilt. The choice you made was based on what was best for Cosmo. That's all anyone can do; make the choice they think is best at any given time. Cosmo won't have suffered or known what happened to her, she just left you suffering, and sadly, when you love someone, you do suffer if/when they leave. I know the choice didn't work out, but you made the only choice that you could, as a responsible owner, in that situation, and I truly am sorry that it went wrong for you all.

I would suggest reading the link I posted though. It might help with some perspective :)

and you can add a lot more to the total in that thread for bunnies that were fine after GA, as a lot of members have dental bunnies that need to go under GA every month or two. My Barney has had 3 more since that thread.

Yes, this is true, I reckon we've had another 10-15 GAs since then. (Sky three times, Wish twice, Sandy once, Star, Dawn and Hope once, The Dopey once, Autumn once). So likely 11. Oh, plus Butters, so 12.

Sky-O thank you so much for the thread on GA!! It certainly puts it into perspective. I am going to be brave and ring the vet in the morning. I can't thank you enough!! I've had all my other animals done. Cosmo was the first animal I've had that died during a procedure so it affected me badly. I am going to do it- thank you for listening and helping me out!! Best r:wave::wave:egards xxx

Sky-O thank you so much for the thread on GA!! It certainly puts it into perspective. I am going to be brave and ring the vet in the morning. I can't thank you enough!! I've had all my other animals done. Cosmo was the first animal I've had that died during a procedure so it affected me badly. I am going to do it- thank you for listening and helping me out!! Best r:wave::wave:egards xxx

You're very welcome. Maybe you could take your girlie to see your vet and discuss your fears and reasons why. they will likely understand and hopefully be able to reassure you. Then, if they feel it's appropriate and it's something you want to look into, you could do some preop blood tests to try and identify anything (although it won't identify everything), which may give you more peace of mind.

Back