• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What shall I do about the baby rabbit at the door?

fiona268

New Kit
Hey, I have a moral dilema and I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 rescue rabbits who I've had for about 18 months and they are really well bonded (but originally came from separate homes). Everyone on my street knows we have rabbits because of moving in day and vet trips and the like.

The other week, a woman from down the road knocked on our door and asked to borrow some hay because her rabbit was about to give birth and they didn't have me. This obviously made me furious because I hate breeding, and why wouldn't they have hay if they were breeders etc etc argh. Anyway, I obviously gave them hay, they offered me a rabbit as a thank you (because animals are currency of course...) and I declined.

The child of that family just knocked at the door with a baby rabbit to ask if we would take care of it. They can't find a home for it, the one they had fell through and they don't have the space so would we take it. I said no, sorry we don't have the space either and the child went away.

I now feel really guilty though. Obviously I know the rabbit would have a much better life with me than with whatever awful home it might eventually get sold to. But can you introduce a baby rabbit to an already bonded adult pair? My rabbit Dot (female) is 6 or 7 years old, and my male rabbit (neutered) Sweep is 3 or 4. Would they even like having a third rabbit with them, especially with it being so much younger? They have a huge living area so that wouldn't be a problem, the extra insurance would be annoying but we could afford it. But, I would never want to do anything to compromise Dot & Sweep's happiness. Dot has had many health problems and she's so happy I would never want to do anything that could change that.

What would you do? :(

The child didn't say if the rabbit was male or female, would that make a difference for group dynamics?

I really don't know what to do. I'm furious that these people have bred their rabbits, I don't know if it was intentional for money or if they are just idiotic pet owners, but either way it's frustrating for me to say. Especially when they ask us to pick up the pieces! But I don't want the baby rabbit to have a terrible life stuck in a tiny hutch as a child's pet like my rabbits did before they were rehomed...

help!

Fiona x

Hey, I have a moral dilema and I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 rescue rabbits who I've had for about 18 months and they are really well bonded (but originally came from separate homes). Everyone on my street knows we have rabbits because of moving in day and vet trips and the like.

The other week, a woman from down the road knocked on our door and asked to borrow some hay because her rabbit was about to give birth and they didn't have me. This obviously made me furious because I hate breeding, and why wouldn't they have hay if they were breeders etc etc argh. Anyway, I obviously gave them hay, they offered me a rabbit as a thank you (because animals are currency of course...) and I declined.

The child of that family just knocked at the door with a baby rabbit to ask if we would take care of it. They can't find a home for it, the one they had fell through and they don't have the space so would we take it. I said no, sorry we don't have the space either and the child went away.

I now feel really guilty though. Obviously I know the rabbit would have a much better life with me than with whatever awful home it might eventually get sold to. But can you introduce a baby rabbit to an already bonded adult pair? My rabbit Dot (female) is 6 or 7 years old, and my male rabbit (neutered) Sweep is 3 or 4. Would they even like having a third rabbit with them, especially with it being so much younger? They have a huge living area so that wouldn't be a problem, the extra insurance would be annoying but we could afford it. But, I would never want to do anything to compromise Dot & Sweep's happiness. Dot has had many health problems and she's so happy I would never want to do anything that could change that.

What would you do? :(

The child didn't say if the rabbit was male or female, would that make a difference for group dynamics?

I really don't know what to do. I'm furious that these people have bred their rabbits, I don't know if it was intentional for money or if they are just idiotic pet owners, but either way it's frustrating for me to say. Especially when they ask us to pick up the pieces! But I don't want the baby rabbit to have a terrible life stuck in a tiny hutch as a child's pet like my rabbits did before they were rehomed...

help!

Fiona x

I think you answered your own question. The baby rabbit is not your responsibility and your priority (as your post clearly shows you know) is to Dot and Sweep. You wouldn't be able to bond the rabbit as a baby, but wait until spayed/neutered because of the risks of fighting, etc. You can also find with trio bonding, that your current pair could divorce, and one might switch allegiance to the new rabbit, or may just all end up single.

Personally, I think you know that you don't want to rock the boat of your pair and that's what you need to focus on.

Maybe, if you want to help, you could help them rehome and show them places and offer suggestions for ways to safely rehome?

I'd probably take it and rehome it on the basis that at least if I was doing the rehoming, I could have some control over the class of home it went to. I might also take it on the basis that I might (only might) be able to influence the future breeding plans of these people if I'd taken on one of their kits.

But as said, your priority is to the animals you have and the other thing is, if you can't persuade them to stop breeding, how many are you going to be offered next time? :(

It may be best to say no. Heart breaking I know :(

Saying yes would establish that they can use you for any excess rabbits, and it will encourage them to breed more as they can find homes for them. Hopefully not having a home for this one will put them off a bit.

You could introduce baby bun before she is spayed, but she would become hormonal and a pain to live with for them, so not ideal and theres a risk her behaviour may cause a split. I think it might be too stressful to put a baby bun into a complex bond like a trio, so you'd have to house her on her own for a while, preferably till after she is spayed. I say spayed because you're right in thinking gender will make a difference, a boy bun will be harder to bond into your pair, and you would definately have to wait till he is neutered before bonding.

its a real hard one ....the trouble is if you took it on they might come back in the future with another one "they cant rehome"...i think you did the right thing ...poor bunnies:cry:

Oh gosh. I really don't envy you. Amazing how they come to you just because you already have buns. I wonder did they send the child to all the neighbours and any other people they could think of just to get rid. This is a terrible situation. I agree with the person who asked if there is any chance that you could take it and find it a home where you know it will be cared for properly. How old is it now? I'm so tempted to take it myself. Will speak with oh.

Where in the country are you?

can you not go round there and ask for an update? Ask how they can continue to breed when they can find homes...in a gentle no aggressive way obviously as you want to still know what going on there etc. Some people just dont know any better...

I dont think youve done anything wrong...your buns are priority.. and you must not feel bad about that......saying that Im aweful at not taking in any animal that needs someone who can help...luckily I dont have that happen much..:? I hope you do what you feel is the right thing to do. Perhaps you could help rehome...not sure but talk to them and ask if they will still continue t his.....ask if they really want to help rehome rabbits then to maybe help a rescue.;)

How selfish of them to almost emotionaly blackmail you:evil: How will you be able to sleep tonight or tomorrow night:( Although they possibly did not know the effect this would have on you and other people).
Parhaps you could go around there with the offer of more hay tomorrow and learn more of the situation.
Maybe they now realise rabbits are not easy to rehome and you could suggest neutering.
I am sorry though that now you feel responsible for the baby rabbit and possibly the others they have.

But I do agree with other posters you must put the welfare of your own bunnies first. We will always hear of bunnies needing a home but regrettably we cant help all of them:cry:

Thank you so much for the replies. I kept thinking about the poor rabbit all last night, you just never know what people will do, do you. There are so many idiots who leave domestic rabbits in the countryside assuming they'll be able to survive like wild rabbits. I'll work out which house they live in and pop round later to find out if they've managed to find a home for the rabbit, and if they have anyone left they could ask.

It's just extra difficult with sanctuaries being full at the moment and unable to take on new animals. I will speak to them about breeding too. I was just so furious yesterday when they knocked on the door, I am very against breeding animals and it is always sensible non-breeders who have to pick up the pieces in the end!!

Bungle Bunny I'm in Stockport near Manchester :)

Thank you again to everyone who replied, I'll keep you updated!x

Could you take the bun in as a single bunny and possible get it done and get a rescue bun to bond it with is having two pairs a possibility? not sure on your current set up but i agree with others i wouldnt upset your bonded pair, i would feel guilty like you but if i could give home temp and try and rehome on here or keep yourself and get a rescue bun to bond with sorry hun dont know your circumstances but couple of options if you are losing sleep over it, i had sleepless nights over poppy whom i got for Toto and i realised i was gonna end up with two single buns so i got them both a new friend lol so gone to from two buns to 4 after losing Flopsy lol they have a knack of pulling at your heart strings i sympathise :wave: x

Back