• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please could some body give advice

scarlett

Alpha Buck
I have 3 bonded females and over the last few days one of them, pebbles, has started sitting on top of the hutch as if to get away from the other two, and when I let them in the garden for a run the other two are chasing pebbles around . Is this chasing normal behaviour, there are no injuries or biting going on ? Please could somebody answer this post as I am feeling really anxious about it :cry:

How old are the girls? How long have they been bonded? Are they all spayed?

Have all recently had a vet check?

Thanks for reply , the girls are 3 years old and they have not been spayed, there are no signs of illness and all were checked recently and have been vaccinated, they do this every now and then and next thing they are all lovey dovey together and grooming each other! I don@t want to seperate them really .:cry:

You may need to separate the one who is being bullied.

It would also be a very good plan to get them all spayed because that is likely to limit the behaviours and maybe totally eradicate it. You could get them all spayed on the same day so they can all recover together and hopefully that might at least ease the issues.

Do you think I should seperate cos I dont have any where else for them to go , I have 5 rabbits in total and took these three in because their owner no longer wanted them.:cry:

Do you think I should seperate cos I dont have any where else for them to go , I have 5 rabbits in total and took these three in because their owner no longer wanted them.:cry:

That depends on how traumatised the one being chased is. If she has bolt holes and places to hide and go, then that may be enough.

If you could get them booked in to be spayed at the start of the week then you may be able to hold on for that.

I would get them done but I can't afford all three , the only thing I can think of doing is re homing pebbles , does any one know of anyone who could give her a good home, I really don't want to do this, but I don't know what else to do!:cry:

If you decide to rehome her then I would suggest reading this http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?49947-Advice-on-Rehoming-Your-Rabbit and this http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...post-Rabbits-needing-rehoming-READ-THIS-FIRST

You will need to get her separate first though, to make sure she is stable and ok alone and give her a chance to adjust and to avoid a massive hit to the immune system. Removing her just to rehome her is not going to be in her best interests.

With regards to spaying, could you look into reduced cost spaying? Or maybe see if your vets will do a payment plan?

cancer is a big risk to girls 3+ years old that aren't spayed so it would be best to have them done anyway. I'm sure someone on the forum can point you to a good vet that doesn't charge too much.

I'm going to give it a few more days, she isn't traumatised, and she can get away from them, I just don't like her being chased, however sometimes she goes up to them and starts the chasing all over again!:cry:

Why not use those days to research low cost spaying. If you're in England or Wales then your local RSPCA might be willing to help with regards to maybe providing vouchers, or suggesting a low cost vet, or a vet that operates on a donational basis. And equally, contacting different vets in the area to see what their costs are, if they would accept a payment plan and what sort of amount, how often, etc.

Thanks for that advice, I am not on any benefits so didn't know if I could get any help with costs. I will look into it:wave:

Thanks for that advice, I am not on any benefits so didn't know if I could get any help with costs. I will look into it:wave:

You may not be able to from places like the RSPCA but finding a good cheap vet, and also payment plans are not just for those on benefits :)

Back