• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mild myxi?

shazlew

Warren Scout
Right im looking for some advice here and i would appreciate not having comments like 'go to the vets' cos i have spent the last bleeding week at the vets so this isnt a measure to avoid the vets.
I have myxi here the first rabbit was put to sleep last weekend the 8th i think followed by a second rabbit on the same day but at night so we couldnt get to vets till following morning.
She was also put to sleep but she had 2 7 week old babies which was isolated and i kept watch on them to see if anything happened.
Weds morning i noticed a 3rd rabbit had lumps on his ears very small lumps but lumps all the same (this was a vaccinated rabbit) so we went to vets and they said it looked more like pasturella (sp) and we ending up coming home with him as it was possible as he had this when i took him on.
By friday morning he looked like a full blown myxi rabbit and was put to sleep but also on that day both babies become ill the doe was v bad and she was put to sleep the buck just had red rimmed eyelids and nothing else and i wanted to hold on and see if he really did have it so he stayed in isolation.
By yesterday morning he looked puffy but by no means swollen and just kept the red rimmed eyes his skipping about eating and drinking and acting just as normal.
Now today his still a happy chap he still looks puffy (not swollen) no worse than he did and his bits although not swollen when i try to take a look as if im sexing him it feels tight but his showing no signs of discomfort.
Now im 100% sure he has myxi BUT the big but, Why is he not progressing as all the others do?
Is it possible due to his age his gained some form of immunity?
If i go to the vets the only reason will be for put to sleep as his not vaccinated and only just 8 weeks today.
If he stands the slightest chance that this could be mild and i could explain this to the vet would it be treatable?
I have no intention of treating him if he will get worse and suffer its not my way and im not playing about with his young life i just wanted to know if anyone here could say if Myxi could take a milder form and this could be what he has?
any info welcomed as i wont be returning to vets with him till tomorrow and that sadly will be for euthanasia :(

Some Rabbits do have a degree of immunity to the virus. Progression of disease will vary from Rabbit to Rabbit. So whilst you are not seeing so much in the way of obvious external symptoms he may have lung problems brewing and so his symptoms may present as acute respiratory tract infection as opposed to lumps and generalised swelling of mucus membranes. So really it is not possible to say for certain if he has a chance or not. You are likely to see a deterioration in the next 24-48 hours if it is going to happen.

Have you flea treated all Rabbits on site ?

everything has been de flead for 2nd week as advantage only covers for a week so did the 2nd last night plus i have been spraying the cages and rabbits with dyna mite to keep down anything with rest ( not that its working) :(
I thought being as this little guys been showing signs since 8am monday morning and although they have got no worse they havent go any better either where as another i isolated that had a slight run to eye is back bouncing about in the room his in and his eyes back to normal so im guessing his was just a slight chill?
his staying where he is for next couple weeks anyway if no further signs show.
I have had a listen and Ted ( thats the one in top post) has nice clear lungs its just the eyes and i think he has a slight thickening to the ears although i am now paranoid and keep seeing things thats not there anyway.

If you're going to fight, then you're going to need to assistance of a vet because of the meds you will need prescribed. Is your vet willing to work with you if you want to fight with your bunny?

If i knew it was possible that this is a mild case and isnt going to blow into something bigger then i will fight for him but its its just the fact his starting of with the infection slowly then im not willing to put him through hell and back just in the hope to keep him alive.
This was mostly why i wanted to know if you could get a mild reaction to it maybe a bit like the vaccine?

There is a colony of rabbits are University of East Anglia that all get myxo, mostly they survive due to a natural immunity. I believe they are being studied because of this.

Maybe with your boy you could just take each minute as it comes. So, for example, right now if you had something like Metacam prescribed to him (an anti inflammatory), then he could be comfortable, but if you felt the disease was getting stronger, you could then maybe choose a different course of action. If you choose to fight then it doesn't mean you have to carry on fighting, it just means that at that point you chose to fight, but like with everything illness you just have to reassess all the time what is best for the bunny. You're clearly doing your best to do this for them all, despite horrendous heartbreak for yourself

Worth a shot asking the vet what they think tomorrow if nothing has worsened overnight he doesn't appear to be in any pain at all but being buns are pretty good at hiding things i can never be too sure.
I will let you know the outcome tomorrow anyway and thanks for your help :)

That sounds a good plan :) At the very least you will know for sure he is comfortable :) If you're going to give it a go in a 'wait and see' or a 'fight while he wants to' approach then maybe ask for some antibios to give in conjunction to keep him as protected as possible.

Very good luck tomorrow :)

Whisper has mild myxi, but he was treated with antibiotics and painkillers the moment I saw any symptoms, - please get the vets to get some meds - it could save his life!
Whisper's prognosis is good at the moment *touch wood*

Just read through your posts and seems Whisper was vaccinated and this little guy wasn't then again the lad i lost friday Bullet he had been having his vacs for past 4 years twice a year and look where that got him :(

I think Rhianna had some unvaccinated bunnies survive, if that helps?

Yes - it was a while ago now - before I found forums and understood about vaccinations - but I had all five of my buns catch myxi and all five survived. I still have three of them now - and this is a long while after - years, rather than months. Molly has had a hydro pyometra since and I nearly lost her then - and Dylan is a Very Old Bun with arthritis but they are well and happy as is Molly's daughter, Munchkin.

They had meds - and I was literally at the vet daily with one or the other of them - but I knew they all wanted to fight - so we did!

was his mother vaccinated? the young can apparently (I have ben told by a vet) get immunity through the milk of a vaccinated mother. However this is a mild immunity (2nd hand) and will not last - hence why it is recommended to get buns their myxi jabs at 8-10 weeks old (obviously not whilst they have a case).

Guessing she wouldn't of been she was a rescue rabbit and they didn't care much about her when they had her so don't think they would of bothered :(
and she come into me pregnant so i didn't get nothing done either.
Little Ted took a turn for worse early hours this morning so im off to vets in an hour so we shall see but it doesn't look good now :(

Back