• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wheezing bun

weedug

Mama Doe
Have tried cutting Mr Bubbles nails, and had to give up as he kept making wheezy/gaspy noises. He's fine now and was fine before, apart from snoring which he has done for ages.

I'm going to get him checked at the vet, but does anyone have any idea what it could be? I have another rabbit with an upper rti.

Sounds as though he *might* have compromised lung function. This *might* be due to a chronic LRTI or scaring from previous infections

A Vet check is definitely needed

Good luck :)

Thanks Jane. I know you can't diagnose him, but just wanted to make sure everything is covered when he goes. I can't get an appointment until first thing tomorrow. Since he is fine now I suppose I'm happy enough.

How would they tell if it's his lungs? Would he need xrays?

I'm going away for a few weeks soon, and need to know he is ok. It doesn't help that I am seeing a different vet.

Could he have had a RTI for some time without me knowing? I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he's now just over 6. Makes sense it being his lungs though.

Thanks Jane. I know you can't diagnose him, but just wanted to make sure everything is covered when he goes. I can't get an appointment until first thing tomorrow. Since he is fine now I suppose I'm happy enough.

How would they tell if it's his lungs? Would he need xrays?

I'm going away for a few weeks soon, and need to know he is ok. It doesn't help that I am seeing a different vet.

Could he have had a RTI for some time without me knowing? I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he's now just over 6. Makes sense it being his lungs though.

The Vet may be able to pick up abnormal lung sounds by listening with a stethoscope. If he/she does then a course of abx is likely to be prescribed before going on to more diagnostics such as Xrays. If the symptoms do not resolve after a course of abx the Vet may then feel that Xrays are needed

It is possible for a Rabbit to have a low grade chronic LRTI with minimal clinical symptoms.

Thank you so much Jane. The sounds he made were so awful :(. It's a help to know some of the checks the vet should make.

Needless to say, the vet can also cut his nails as I'm not doing that again! I was scared that he wouldn't stop and need oxygen or something :oops:.

He's running about the room quite fine now.

I know how scary this can be. If your other bunny has an upper respitiratory infection such as pasterella then it's quite possible this bun has it too. I'd often have Humphrey and Jacob on baytril as once one started sneezing then did the other!

Having said that, it could also have been a panic attack, no one likes their nails being cut and it could have been panicky breezing.

I hope all's well anyway at the vets. Glad he seems alot better now. :)

I do hope it was just a panic attack, although the last time I cut his nails he didn't make any noise.

It got him out of getting them cut today anyway :lol:

Well, the vet check went better than I thought it would. Mr Bubbles checked out fine. His lungs sounded fine, and the teeth the vet could see looked very good.

Having said that, she still thinks there is a possibility of a low grade respiratory infection and has given me a course of Septrin for him.

And he got his nails cut, with only a little noise :)

Back